Not contesting the ruck

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

I wonder how this works in 7's ?

Having thought about it a little, I doubt this will take off enough to require a change in the laws. It's more shock value than anything. If I were to defend it, I would coach a forward (or two) to come and stand directly infront of the player hanging around the back of the tackle. I assume he is allowed into the tackle area and cannot be touched by the 'non offside player' - playing a player without the ball. By standing between him and the scrum half, he enables the scrum half access. You then just pick and go until you make a ruck and catch potentially two players offside.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
you are still missing the crucial factor about this tactic - it is done when the attackers have over committed to the ruck. There are vastly superior numbers available in defensive forwards. 6 forwards over committed to winning a non ruck leaves just two elsewhere. Stick one of them between the defender and the s/half leaves one forward to take the pick and drive and not get turned over by the seven forwards available defenders.

It is probably the best tactic I agree - but its numerically dangerous.

didds

PS you'd presumably get the winger or fullback to do the blocking role because of this clearly.

Last edited: