[Scrum] Number 8 do's & don'ts

Shush

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi everyone, this is my first post so I'd like to say thank you in advance.

My question is this.

When can a number 8 pick the ball up out from the scrum? Does the ball have to be at his feet or can he reach into the scrum and pick it up with one hand whilst still bound to the Lock?

I ask this question as my son plays number 8 for a Championship side and was pinged for reaching in for the ball, in his defence the scrum like many before was static and going absolutely nowhere.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
20.10(c)

Ending a scrum successfully requires that the ball is at the feet of the hindmost player when they choose to play it.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
To answer the question. No he can't reach in to play it.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
20.10(c)

Ending a scrum successfully requires that the ball is at the feet of the hindmost player when they choose to play it.

Not entirely.
The ball can be at 2nd row feet & infront of nr 8.
He can then unatach & play ball.
He cant reach in toooo far , ( penalty )
Failtau for wales , you might remember last year 6 nations , i think against ireland,
Crawled inside scrum got ball , & i think he him self ran in a try .

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Technically #8 cannot unbind until the scrum is over except when doing so to pick up the ball at his feet - when he unbinds the ball is then out of the scrum which is thus over.

If the ball is still in the second row, he is not only unbinding early, but also handling the ball in the scrum - both illegal.

Confusion arises because the scrum half is these days allowed to pick the ball out of the scrum. For most referees, this exception is not allowed for #8s, so it is unwise to try it without checking with the referee first. I expect it to get penalised.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Does the ball have to be at his feet or can he reach into the scrum and pick it up with one hand whilst still bound to the Lock?.

I think this is a very good question, by law as noted above he cannot. BUT as often seen at clearly won rucks a player may do so.

This could be viewed as an inconsistency in the game, and confusion arises.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well the lawbook says he can't, but...

To me, it depends on the exact situation but I'd probably manage it in the first instance and only penalise if he does it again. Couldn't quibble with a referee who just penalised it first time, though.

Last edited: