[Scrum] Number of front row subs

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

3.4 Players nominated as substitutes
(d) A team can substitute up to two front row players (subject to Law 3.5 (f) and (g) when it
may be three) and up to five other players.

I don't read posts on these kind of issues (maybe I should) but the wording struck me as odd. I'm sure that WR doesn't intend the maximum number of front row subs to be limited.

My 2016 copy of the Laws doesn't have 3.5 (f) or (g).

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I'm sure that WR doesn't intend the maximum number of front row subs to be limited.
3.4 Players nominated as substitutes
(d) A team can substitute up to two front row players (subject to Law 3.5 (f) and (g) when it may be three) and up to five other players.

"Up to" sets a maximum surely

... My 2016 copy of the Laws doesn't have 3.5 (f) or (g).
Although 3.4 mentions 3.5(f) and (g) they don't exist anymore on the WR website either. That 12 yr old needs a talking to.:biggrin:

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Does the distinction between "substitute" and "replacement" matter at all here?

I think it might.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Okay, so they have amended 3.5 by substantial simplification and did not do a full review to see what other Laws referred to the deleted paragraphs. No big deal. 3.5(b) is now the exception to 3.4(d). However 3.4(d) does not make any sense (a maxmum of 7 substitutes) when other paragraphs allow a maximum of 8 substitutes (3.4(b), 3.4(c), 3.5(b)) in circumstances. You can ignore 3.4(d), as most competition regulations will take precedence. Read those.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
3.5 (f) and (g) gave authority to a "Union having jurisdiction" to make its own regulations on certain matters. I presume they no longer have that, so the reference can safely be ignored (and indeed should have been removed).

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
3.5 (f) and (g) gave authority to a "Union having jurisdiction" to make its own regulations on certain matters. I presume they no longer have that, so the reference can safely be ignored (and indeed should have been removed).

3.4(b) (as before) and 3.5(b) provide that authority now.