NY Women vs Bath Ladies

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Bath Ladies RFC are on tour, playing Beantown in Boston and NY in NY City. Should be very interesting to see how a high level RFU team does against the #1 and #3 teams in the USA.

I have been assigned the NY game, on Thursday evening, June 3rd.

Now I have to decide whether to go with my USA or my RFU jersey. Perhaps I can ask my supplier to make me one specially for the game with both logos, ideally embroidered onto a lightweight material considering it is likely to be hot as hell.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did you get the blue USA Jersey at the weekend. That absorbs sweat like nothing on Earth. Swear my bag was a couple of kilos heavier after the game:sad:

ExHookah

Post Likes
Did you get the blue USA Jersey at the weekend. That absorbs sweat like nothing on Earth. Swear my bag was a couple of kilos heavier after the game:sad:

Indeed I did get the Gilbert sponge.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
*note to self* avoid the Gilbert shirts as you look at new kit for Virginia referees!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
*note to self* avoid the Gilbert shirts as you look at new kit for Virginia referees!

My God they look good and fit brilliantly but they change colour during the game:(

On day 2 I put my heat wear under armor beneath it to try and not turn from light blue to dark blue again. All I can say is I'm glad the hotel had laundry service or there would have been some very smelly refs on Sunday!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ex Hookah

I reffed the Bath girls just 2 weeks ago and i know they were very much looking forward to the trip to US.

I think the US girls will be far too strong for them. They're not the team they were last year, a lot of internal politics over here and they lost up to 10 players who were told they had to be playing Prem rugby if they wanted to be considered for the WRWC which is here this Aug.

They have a couple of very good players to watch for, Welsh girl that plays in a the pack (FR or BR), puts in some tackles that make the men watching wince:clap: Their open side is also very good, steals sooooo much ball in the tackle it's unreal. #9 is a good player, but at this level, not sure she'll be up to the US standard. The backs in general have very little in the way of pace, but handling is good.

Not sure what experience you've had in reffin ladies games, but over here they are very start stop, they want to be treated the same as men but it's very difficult when you're stopping every couple of mins for "an injury":cry: .

Their coach is a cracking guy, Jimmy Dean, played #2 for Bath himself and was back up to Graham Dawe for years. Say hi to him for me, and ask him if any of the hair has grown back yet :wink: .........girls waxed him as a fund raiser for the tour! I'm sure Ex Lucy (RR.com poster) will have his own opinion on him :Zip:

look forward to your match report, but i'll have the US girls by more than 20

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Now I have to decide whether to go with my USA or my RFU jersey. Perhaps I can ask my supplier to make me one specially for the game with both logos, ideally embroidered onto a lightweight material considering it is likely to be hot as hell.

Cut both shirts in half down the middle.
Sew the two opposite halves togther for a RFUUSA shirt. :biggrin:

ExHookah

Post Likes
Ex Hookah

I reffed the Bath girls just 2 weeks ago and i know they were very much looking forward to the trip to US.

I think the US girls will be far too strong for them. They're not the team they were last year, a lot of internal politics over here and they lost up to 10 players who were told they had to be playing Prem rugby if they wanted to be considered for the WRWC which is here this Aug.

They have a couple of very good players to watch for, Welsh girl that plays in a the pack (FR or BR), puts in some tackles that make the men watching wince:clap: Their open side is also very good, steals sooooo much ball in the tackle it's unreal. #9 is a good player, but at this level, not sure she'll be up to the US standard. The backs in general have very little in the way of pace, but handling is good.

Not sure what experience you've had in reffin ladies games, but over here they are very start stop, they want to be treated the same as men but it's very difficult when you're stopping every couple of mins for "an injury":cry: .

Their coach is a cracking guy, Jimmy Dean, played #2 for Bath himself and was back up to Graham Dawe for years. Say hi to him for me, and ask him if any of the hair has grown back yet :wink: .........girls waxed him as a fund raiser for the tour! I'm sure Ex Lucy (RR.com poster) will have his own opinion on him :Zip:

look forward to your match report, but i'll have the US girls by more than 20

I'm looking forward to it, the NY Women are the reigning national champs, and they have a number of girls who are preparing for the World Cup.

The back row battle could be interesting, the Bath women vs Phaidra Knight.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just googled her, i think the Bath lass might have her work cut out, but that said she's a tough cookie. US girl looks as though she might have at least 20-30lbs on her :Nerv:

If the rest of the US girls are built like that i might revise my spread bet on them:eek:

ExHookah

Post Likes
Just googled her, i think the Bath lass might have her work cut out, but that said she's a tough cookie. US girl looks as though she might have at least 20-30lbs on her :Nerv:

If the rest of the US girls are built like that i might revise my spread bet on them:eek:

At the last world cup, PK was voted into the "All World" team at the end of the tournament. She is a hell of a player. She also has a law degree, she's worked on some assignments with my wife.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Bath Ladies RFC are on tour, playing Beantown in Boston and NY in NY City. Should be very interesting to see how a high level RFU team does against the #1 and #3 teams in the USA.

I have been assigned the NY game, on Thursday evening, June 3rd.

if you are mentioning the supplier I think you are - forget it. you won't even get a return phone call by the 3rd. I called him and told him that I wanted to place a $1500 order - credit card in hand - no response. doubt a single jersey will do the trick.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
if you are mentioning the supplier I think you are - forget it. you won't even get a return phone call by the 3rd. I called him and told him that I wanted to place a $1500 order - credit card in hand - no response. doubt a single jersey will do the trick.

is it my favourite supplier from the East coast? :mad:

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
what BFG says .. Barf ladies are not much cop these days... i reffed them in Jan at Albanians who went on to win that league ...
Albanians won with some to spare. Jimmy is loud and gruff.
i saw Graham Dawe last Sat .. he played for Devon v Herts at Albanians.... what is a 60 yr old playing County rugby for ?
mad !

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
what BFG says .. Barf ladies are not much cop these days... i reffed them in Jan at Albanians who went on to win that league ...
Albanians won with some to spare. Jimmy is loud and gruff.
i saw Graham Dawe last Sat .. he played for Devon v Herts at Albanians.... what is a 60 yr old playing County rugby for ?
mad !

JD says "hi" to you too :wink:

ExHookah

Post Likes
A fun match. NY did not play any of their USA players (by order of the USA coach), so it was a good opportunity for their younger players. NY were very disjointed though, clearly some new combinations.

Bath were settled and played well, taking their chances, and winning 23-0.

Jimmy the coach is a great guy, very enjoyable to work with.

ExHookah

Post Likes
A fun match. NY did not play any of their USA players (by order of the USA coach), so it was a good opportunity for their younger players. NY were very disjointed though, clearly some new combinations.

Bath were settled and played well, taking their chances, and winning 23-0.

Jimmy the coach is a great guy, very enjoyable to work with.