Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
looks like a shitload of toxic masculinity to me

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm old school and was brought up on this kind of thing, albeit a watered down version. Here's what I think now; the kind of skills and attitudes these players are displaying are too binary to be of much use in the modern world. We need courage but not aggression in our day to day lives. People who leave, say, the military or boarding school, find what was respected and admired there is not respected or useful in their new lives. In my early club days there was a quiet guy in the backrow who studiously kept out of any pre match huddle / shouting, then played in a thoroughly committed way, and was then friendly and good mannered to all and sundry in the bar afterwards. I understand he became a QC and was well respected. He had learnt to be brave and committed without manic winding up, and this is the kind of life skill which would serve anyone well.

So, imagine if those players in the video were instead able to bring themselves up to the required level of courage and commitment by confidence, and sense of their own ability and a strong inner strength, a strength they can tap into and control when it is needed be it on the rugby pitch or in day to day life. That would a skill that will serve them all their lives and in any situation, and without them having to rely on the presence of others.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Eh. Some people need external motivation, others find it from within.

When I was still playing, I was very quiet pre match. I was a thoroughly nasty player (mid 80s to 1991) when you could be and made it my mission in the game to try to destroy the opposition 9.
Afterwards, very quiet with my beer, not that I drank at that age nosirree

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So, imagine if those players in the video were instead able to bring themselves up to the required level of courage and commitment by confidence, and sense of their own ability and a strong inner strength, a strength they can tap into and control when it is needed be it on the rugby pitch or in day to day life. That would a skill that will serve them all their lives and in any situation, and without them having to rely on the presence of others.

I just love Hakas, especially school ones. They are all about respect. If you see some if the ones for retiring teachers, funerals etc they are great.

I love the way a number of the opposition players hug after the take and before the kick off

Btw I'm pretty sure the team in blue won

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Well as an NH person, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Almost the same as my school playing days for Barrow Boys Grammar School in the 70s as we played round Lancashire on Saturdays.

I think we only managed to get worked up when we played the odd private school such as Arnold or Heversham.
Bit of pain having to wear your school uniform on a Saturday though!

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Well as an NH person, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Almost the same as my school playing days for Barrow Boys Grammar School in the 70s as we played round Lancashire on Saturdays.

I think we only managed to get worked up when we played the odd private school such as Arnold or Heversham.
Bit of pain having to wear your school uniform on a Saturday though!

My son's (now 22) three favourite rugby moments were facing Hakas in NZ and in Australia with a touring NZ team and playing a touring English school team (Grammar School at Leeds)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My son's (now 22) three favourite rugby moments were facing Hakas in NZ and in Australia with a touring NZ team and playing a touring English school team (Grammar School at Leeds)

I reffed the Leeds team several years ago when they played in Melbourne. Lovely bunch of lads.

Total hijack, but it always concerned me that these touring teams were never briefed on the Mayday protocol

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I reffed the Leeds team several years ago when they played in Melbourne. Lovely bunch of lads.

Total hijack, but it always concerned me that these touring teams were never briefed on the Mayday protocol

I think that was the same tour. I reffed the first XV game. My boy played the second XV.