NZ v South Africa

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Well this is an action packed game alright!

You have to admire the NZ intensity in contact, they simply never give up going in hard do they!

A few impressions, with 3 mins left on the clock and I have to get to the station!

Game was over with the 2nd Yellow for Bismarck. I thought the first was harsh, he had arms in the tackle. Second, a textbook stiff arm tackle.

I thought Romaine Poite had a bad day at the office, scrumtime a mess and the breakdown. It seems if you wear black you are allowed to live off your feet to protect or even win possession. Lots of sly lazy running and pulling back SA pillers at rucktime too.

NZ can get as cynical as the best of them, even when well ahead. Note the last 10 minutes, 2 yellows.

Ma'a Nonu - I hope he gets a citing and a long, long ban. He has so much previous for such dangerous shoulder charging. A shocking assault on De Villiers.

Of course, NZ very good for the win - no bones to pick there. Even taking out Dan Carter cannot stop the black machine ;-)

Right, off to a free festival in the rain today: Therapy? and Madness for free!

Lex Hipkins

Post Likes
bad day at the office indeed for Roman. He had the perfect opportunity to review the first yellow incident but seemed to ignore that and go with his gut instinct from seeing it live ..which IMO was wrong

as for the scrums ..what a mess ..you heard him staying 'keep it stable' but then seemed to allow early pushing with impunity.

saving grace for the French man ..his penalising of the off-side pillars ....about time!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It seems if you wear black you are allowed to live off your feet to protect or even win possession. Lots of sly lazy running and pulling back SA pillers at rucktime too.

NZ can get as cynical as the best of them, even when well ahead. Note the last 10 minutes, 2 yellows.

Ma'a Nonu - I hope he gets a citing and a long, long ban. He has so much previous for such dangerous shoulder charging. A shocking assault on De Villiers.

Careful. The faceless kiwis may complain to OB.. then you're in trouble :norc:

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Enjoyable game. I wonder if Razzie enjoyed it. Sure we will find out soon!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It seems if you wear black you are allowed to live off your feet to protect or even win possession. Lots of sly lazy running and pulling back SA pillers at rucktime too.

Of course, the the slightest thought of doing the same sort of thing wouldn't even begin to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing the mind of any other international rugby players, dear sweet little angels that they are! :biggrin:

Yeah it was not good, but only hyperpole will make it as bad as you are making it out to be. Certainly no worse than du Plessis' 2nd YC for the elbow to the throat of Messam.

However, the his YC was an absolute crock of shite. I think RP will be first to acknowledge that he got that wrong, and did not have a great day at the office. At one stage, he called CTS for a scrum engagement!!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
just shows what a stadium full of fruit loop Kiwis can do to a man's mind

PS: you can charge a free kick

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Enjoyable game. I wonder if Razzie enjoyed it. Sure we will find out soon!
stop being so damn impatient, rantie is still compiling his list , it might be another day or so yet ! it's moments like these that we forgive all his sins merely to allow proper ruggar piss takin to commence ..........:buttkick:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
stop being so damn impatient, rantie is still compiling his list , it might be another day or so yet ! it's moments like these that we forgive all his sins merely to allow proper ruggar piss takin to commence ..........:buttkick:

Yep, I reckon it will take him at least a day to get enough information together to come on here and make a complete arse of himself!

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Of course, the the slightest thought of doing the same sort of thing wouldn't even begin to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing the mind of any other international rugby players, dear sweet little angels that they are! :biggrin:

Yeah it was not good, but only hyperpole will make it as bad as you are making it out to be. Certainly no worse than du Plessis' 2nd YC for the elbow to the throat of Messam.

However, the his YC was an absolute crock of shite. I think RP will be first to acknowledge that he got that wrong, and did not have a great day at the office. At one stage, he called CTS for a scrum engagement!!

You're right about off your feet in the ruck - happens all the time in French rugby.

With respect I see the du Plessis stiff-arm and Nonu assault on very different scale of seriousness.

Du Plessis - stiff arm (illegal) to protect the ball in contact with poor tackling technique by the kiwi. Nonu - off the ball, sized up his opponent and made sure het hit above the shoulders by literally jumping in with the shoulder. Red all day, every day for me.

Be honest - Nonu has a bit of previous with exactly this type of charge. Which is a real shame since I think he's an excellent player.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Can someone give me a time for the Nonu incident please? I assume TMO didnt come in to ask for a look? Or that it wasnt referred?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can someone give me a time for the Nonu incident please? I assume TMO didnt come in to ask for a look? Or that it wasnt referred?

73 mins, TJ flagged it, but no TMO, it was a cynical professional foul IMO, and this time the correct call

draigdu

Post Likes

You have to admire the NZ intensity in contact, they simply never give up going in hard do they!

A few impressions, with 3 mins left on the clock and I have to get to the station!

Game was over with the 2nd Yellow for Bismarck. I thought the first was harsh, he had arms in the tackle. Second, a textbook stiff arm tackle.

I thought Romaine Poite had a bad day at the office, scrumtime a mess and the breakdown. It seems if you wear black you are allowed to live off your feet to protect or even win possession. Lots of sly lazy running and pulling back SA pillers at rucktime too.

Of course, NZ very good for the win - no bones to pick there. Even taking out Dan Carter cannot stop the black machine ;-)

Right, off to a free festival in the rain today: Therapy? and Madness for free!

That invalidates any other point you are trying to make.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I didn't watch the game for obvious reasons.

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Contro...-2013/tabid/415/articleID/313235/Default.aspx is my source of video at 01:15

Black 10 (literally the number 10) is at almost 135 degrees from straight up, however the body angle is perhaps halfway between 90 and 135, and this after having hit the ground (i.e. with angular momentum).

I have backed out of calling yellow too often for dangerous tackles. Today YC for nth high tackle (U15, none really dangerous) and for going beyond the 90 in the surprise U17 first half.

NO COMPLAINTS. The players walked off, knew what they had done. The coaches did not remonstrate.

We, as referees, all have bad days in the office. Our greatest challenge is doing as best we can despite it being one of those days. And we don't always fully meet that challenge, at least I certainly don't.

Games of rugby are, however, not RUINED by people who have a yellow card already fouling again.

And the first tackle looks like yellow on repeated viewings, perhaps assisted by slo-mo. I would not have called it last year - I would have bottled it.

Compare and contrast with coaches who prefer the HIT to player safety in the scrum.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Well I had other rugby commitments yesterday and last night so I have just watched a replay of the NZ v SA Test match but could only sit through about 20 minutes of the ITM Cup game between Aus and the Argies.:sarc:

Du Plessis hard done by with first yellow.
Commentators noted that Nonu has had 5 YCs this year.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Games of rugby are, however, not RUINED by people who have a yellow card already fouling again.

And the first tackle looks like yellow on repeated viewings, perhaps assisted by slo-mo. I would not have called it last year - I would have bottled it.

Are you talking about the tackle on Carter by Du Plessis or an U15 game you reffed?

If the former, then a YC card is clearly the wrong call. Its not even a penalty. Poite got sucked in by the afters, the injury and the boorish crowd. What makes matters intolerable is that he could have had another look on the screen if he wanted to. A luxury not many of us enjoy.

So, yes, the game was RUINED by sloppy refereeing.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Erm I do hope your being sarcastic with the perfect straight arm? That was defo:yellow:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Erm I do hope your being sarcastic with the perfect straight arm? That was defo:yellow:

Which YC are you talking about, the one for the tackle on Carter or the one for the elbow into Messam's throat?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Did he elbow him or did he have a straight arm?
throat the first one was baffudaling how he was yellowed.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Sorry guys, in my rush to get out the door I used stiff-arm for elbow in the original post. The elbow was a definite yellow but that obviously had consequences it shouldn't have had. First was a great tackle with arms and a wrap. IMHO