[Law] Obstriction

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
[video]https://ytcropper.com/cropped/ba5c757b7217ef2[/video]

In this case the referee disallowed the try . Reason was obstruction .

My View Obstruction

Reason . There was a maul that broke down and the ball is on ground . No ruck open play ??
Defense is not able to get to ball carrier , Negative play standing there

Would appreciate views

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Try for me ..
I would be more concerned with 30 players basically wearing same colours ..

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Can't tell with my screen resolution, but I could believe that the penalised player was holding/obstructing the two defenders

oliver

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think he was holding way beyond the ball so ostruction imo. Also, the winger with the blue arm guard (11?) looked like he was held to me and didn't release the ball, so PK anyway.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First offence was the winger getting tackled and then getting to his feet without releasing the ball, or if he did momentarily release he wasn't on his feet when he did so.

That makes any subsequent obstruction irrelevant.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
50:50 call for me. The 'obstructor' was very close to going too far beyond the ball in his ruck clearout. I can see how some would say he went too far and some would say he's okay.

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
50:50 call for me. The 'obstructor' was very close to going too far beyond the ball in his ruck clearout. I can see how some would say he went too far and some would say he's okay.

Was there a ruck . It was more like A maul to ground,

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
They are both well infront of the ball and clearly preventing a defender crossing to make a covering tackle. I'm fine with obstruction.

For me the winger was not-held.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
For me the was a Maul that went to ground. He's driven over to make the ball available, pretty much immediately. He stayed in the vicinity of the grounded player and was bound onto his opponent legally, who was attempting to drive him back, so was also bound to him too. The 2nd player couldn't get passed his own player to make the tackle. I'd have given the try.