[Tackle] Off side , or play on ?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
General play in middle field.
Red 7 running to opposition try line .
Red 7 tackled by blue 7. ( clean tackle ) ( no ruck formed )
Red 7 goes to ground & places ball back , for red 10 to gather.
Red 10 picks up ball and passes to red 11 , a good meter away from tackle area.

Blue 10 who was retreating and actually catches passed ball , that was meant for red 11.
He then turns back around & runs towards red try line & scores try .
Do you penalise blue 10 ( if so , why ? )
Or do you play on .

Not a trick question , i have my view . Of answer
It comes up now & again in discussion.
Interested on others reply

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There is no offside line at a tackle. Unless Blue 10 was offside from an earlier play, he is legal.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Christy,

Are you in the USA? That is a frequently questioned action by fans and players at my level of game (in da weeds)

You asked how others would reply, I think all agree with OB

TBH there was a day when the tackle area was uninvented and unimagined, and defenders could approach and play from any direction as long as a ruck hadn't formed. I believe it was June of 2000 when this fabled tackle area came into believe (and law). the situation you described was even harder to explain to novice yanks.

So it is "play on buttercup" That is how I explain it during the match

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
On the facts as presented PLAY ON. LOOK before you pass!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its play-on, but all that might change soon.

There is an experimental law that will be trailed in the Mitre 10 Cup (formerly ITM Cup) this year. They are introducing the concept of a phase of play known as a "breakdown". There will no longer be a requirement for two players (one from each team) over the ball. As soon as one player from either team arrives at the tackle, or if the tackler stands up and moves to his own side of the tackle, a Breakdown is formed and an offside line appears. In your scenario Christy, Blue 10 would be PK for "Offside at the Breakdown"

ETA:

I have started a thread here...

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...s-are-heading-for-trouble&p=318574#post318574

about my impressions of the trial laws so far.

Last edited:

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Open play, play on. In this situ (as it looks odd) it's useful to call "open play, play on" or words to that effect so people know you've processed it and made a decision (in this instance, to play on). Helps refocus players' attentions on the game and therefore not hassling you for something they're incorrect about.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Open play, play on. In this situ (as it looks odd) it's useful to call "open play, play on" or words to that effect so people know you've processed it and made a decision (in this instance, to play on). Helps refocus players' attentions on the game and therefore not hassling you for something they're incorrect about.

I think "Tackle only" is the latest term.