Offside under 10 meter law after a kick to touch?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If it helps anyone find it, I think the offender was Paul O'Connell and Ireland were playing from right to left, which I think was the 1st half.

Surely it depends which side of the stadium you are watching from :chin:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Surely it depends which side of the stadium you are watching from :chin:
I was watching from my sofa. :biggrin:

I know they reverse the camera shots every now and again (which could throw it) but the vast majority of the game is usually taken from one side of the pitch.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I know they reverse the camera shots every now and again (which could throw it) but the vast majority of the game is usually taken from one side of the pitch.

Spookily, the side facing the advertising!

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes

Tv camera's are in the West Stand...so Ireland were playing North(or in POC'S case East IIRC)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
In this clip , the upfield players surely gain their team an advantage by pressurising from their upfield position

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iHClJ0IUk

It's a borderline case. I can see your point but the camera view blocks out all white players but one as the ball is coming down. You can see that some of the main group of white players turn and watch the ball as it sails past their position, but it is not clear if any actually move forward before they disappear from view. Therefore, we now concentrate on the white player on the 10m line. He manages to hold his position pretty well throughout (possibly moves about half a metre while waiting for the ball to go out). His feet are still behind the 10m line as he pushes off to run forward as the blue player in touch catches the ball. This is when he is entitled to move forward. This is not a case for offside under the 10 metre law. He is 18m from where the ball will land and is only required to hold his position. He does not have to retire as he was not inside the 10 metres of where the ball would land.
As soon as the ball was in touch he was entitled to move forward.
IMO he did pretty well and would agree with the ref's decision to play on.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I know lawful.

Nevertheless it still highlights the value of having a return kicker that can launch the ball 10 m beyond his teammates all standing still way upfield.

Personally I'd rather see laws that encourage players ahead of the ball to be making greater efforts to retreat, but I'm not sure how to achieve such law change without over balancing kick strategy too far the other way.