Oh Shhhiiiiiiiit!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Take a look at this at the 2:45m mark...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KTUJgYRz1WE

When I saw this live I cringed and expected the worst - fortunately it seems he's OK (by some miracle!)

Yes I know this is league, but I had no doubt in my mind what I would be giving if I saw this, even without replays. I started at RC and found no reason for anything else. Stunned that it was only on report.

What would you give? Can you find a reason to not issue a RC? (IMO only had eyes for the player - got himself in an awkward position to challenge BUT it was all his own doing)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
straight red for me

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I'm not surprised it was only on report. In league, and particularly in an important game you need to maim someone before they think about the sinbin.

I think it is not quite a red, because the defendant made his movement across before the attacker had jumped, and I don't actually think he intended to even touch the player in the air or even knew that he was in the air. Nonetheless, his action was to obstruct, so if something like this happens then you are responsible. YC for mine.

Looked horrific though. If that was a junior or lower grade senior game I would expect a serious injury to result. Fortunately at that level they tend to have well developed neck and shoulder muscles so there is a better chance of walking away.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I saw that live.... Geez, is it possible to give TWO RC for an offence.

(PS: RC the w@nker standing next the recyclables bin at 0:09 - or smack him with a phone!!)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe when someone breaks their neck and NRL are sued then they might rethink it?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Defending players are allowed to tackle attacking players in the air, not the other way around.

I don't agree with it but I can understand why; an attacking kick close to the goal line would be virtually undefendable.

Perhaps the only way out for them is to not allow players of either side to jump for the ball if they are within the defending 10m zone at either end?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just rang up the dahlia Llama.

null_zpsc48cbbf0.png

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with the comment that it was an early tackle. :norc:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry, but you've lost me. :chin:

If you're defending your own line, you're allowed to make contact with an attacking player in the air after he's caught the ball to stop him scoring, as long as you use your arms and don't put him in a dangerous position. However, if you're attacking the other team's line and their defender gets hold of the ball, you can't do the same thing that a defender could do to you; he has to be allowed back to the ground.

It's also relatively rare that defenders take advantage of this provision; maybe 95 times out of 100, it makes far more sense for the key defender to contest the high ball in the air and he does that instead; and then if he misses there's no team-mate in position to stop the attacker scoring. When it does happen it tends to take the form of desperate last-ditch dives to get underneath someone who's heading for the ground rather than actual tackles.

damo said:
I'm not surprised it was only on report. In league, and particularly in an important game you need to maim someone before they think about the sinbin.

Would just like to substitute "the NRL" for "league"; in Super League we still send people off and it seems to work quite well.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If you're defending your own line, you're allowed to make contact with an attacking player in the air after he's caught the ball to stop him scoring, as long as you use your arms and don't put him in a dangerous position.
You're talking here of just rugby league I assume - not rugby union.