[Line out] Old law

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I went to watch my local team on Saturday, having set the video to record the game on TV, and was surprised to hear the referee insist that non-throwing team had to match numbers in the line out. How long ago did that law change to 'not exceed' the throwers' numbers?
It also raised a second discussion as he had just YC'd non-throwing team's flanker so they were a forward short. I didn't ref when it was law, but wouldn't it have been like the scrum, where you only have to put them all in if you've got them to put in?

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
19.8(c) The opposing team may have fewer lineout players but they must not have more.

My guess is the ref just got it wrong.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I only have Laws that go back to 1996. This is all the Laws said about numbers at that time....

LAW 23. TOUCH AND LINE-OUT
B. Line-Out
(1) A line-out is formed by at least two players from each team lining up in single lines parallel to the line-of-touch in readiness for the ball to be thrown in between them. The team throwing in the ball shall determine the maximum number of players from either team who so line up. Such players are those "in the line-out" unless excluded below.

Back before this is OB's domain.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Since 1985 the law has said that the throwing team determines the maximum number of players in a lineout.

Prior to that there were references to spacing, and allowing the opposition to conform, but no actual reference to numbers.