Options Signal

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Match today. Blue kick off straight into touch. I shout "options red skipper". He chooses scrum. I signal scrum and put arm out to show who has put in. Is there another signal I should have used for the "options"?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not really. Too hard to try and signal a line out, scrum or re-kick all at once.
I only signal the selected option once it is chosen.

I have on occassion, when the capt is a distance away, will point at the centre and the sideline while asking 'option?'

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If a scrum option has been taken I will tend to do the "house" signal before I stick my arm out.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If a scrum option has been taken I will tend to do the "house" signal before I stick my arm out.

Likewise.....and remember that this signal is for the benefit of the crowd, so don't be shy about it. Big theatrical signals.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Likewise.....and remember that this signal is for the benefit of the crowd, so don't be shy about it. Big theatrical signals.

Interestingly, my latest assessor said "ditch" the forming a scrum signal, as its no longer in vogue ....

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interestingly, my latest assessor said "ditch" the forming a scrum signal, as its no longer in vogue ....

I only use it when an option has been taken. There's no need otherwise.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Exactly.........just when there's a choice, so everyone knows the scrum option has been taken.
I.e. I would do it at a penalty if they chose the scrum option, so everyone know what's goign on.

For a straight scrum, arm out for primary.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I'm guessing he actually meant not to do the 'tee-pee' signal for every knock-on scrum?
For me I use the primary signal is arm out to the feeding side as the signal for scrum. The secondary signal is the reason for the scrum (knock on, forward pass, etc). No tertiary 'tee-pee' signal really needed in those situations . I save that signal for when there's an option available and to signify that the scrum option has been selected.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
How nice that we are all in agreement :smile: feel the love :wink:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ha...looks like the locals beat me to it.

I find when you see a ref doing all 3 signals in quick succession it looks more like a ridiculous dance routine!

Ps: certainly more rediculous than the haka! :pepper::booty:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

OK, so .... Having checked that it's merely a 'Tertiary' signal, then perhaps its only correct use is for a restart of play following an injury?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
OK, so .... Having checked that it's merely a 'Tertiary' signal, then perhaps its only correct use is for a restart of play following an injury?

Only if you have stopped the game for the injury would it be a scrum. Agree that on exercising an option or a choice it is handy to let folks know.