organising rugby teams

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I am not officiating my "other" job is managing a Colts team. I have managed/coached at several over the years and communication has always been the fun part. Getting a fixture has always been easy, especially when the squads have been high end performers, the trick is getting the players there.

My current is block sms via skype, which is easier to type into than a mobile and my mobile does not send block messages to groups.

I have just come across this site www.teamer.net. which seems a heaven sent tool to use and it seems the sms aspect has no cost attached, unlike skype.

I cannot be the only team organiser and wondered if anyone else has used this site, and your thoughts. I cannot fathom how they can send sms for free, but then, as you are aware, I have'nt a clue how this technology works

The site is nothing to do with me, it seems to originate in Ireland and I live in West London and, when the country sorts itself out, I will resume my trade as a builder!

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Without knowing the software involved, I'd imagine it works along the same lines as O2 and Orange's free internet SMS - they attach adverts.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
... the trick is getting the players there.

I relinquished managing a Colts squad at the end of last season; we had won the County Cup and made it to the 3rd round of the National Colts Cup. We were then knocked out of the National Plate competition by Haywards Heath following some highly suspect refereeing from an individual who arrived 10 minutes before kick off, reeking of beer. Deeps Junior was away to play his rugby and referee at uni. The main reason however was that after giving up Tuesday and Thursday evenings and all day Sunday for 2 seasons I needed a break and wanted to get back to refereeing Colts instead of managing them.

With three exceptions, we had a game every Sunday throughout 2007-2008 season, 28 in all I think. All players had to check in with me by the Monday night to my mobile number or by email if they wished to be considered for selection for the following Sunday's game. If they failed to notify me but still wished to be considered for selection then they were asked to make a small cash donation to the fund. The squad was picked after training on a Thursday and published that night on our own low cost website (you can do this for free nowadays).

Meeting time on the Sunday at the rugby club was promulgated also. Invariably this was calculated as travel time plus 15 minutes in order to arrive at the away ground 2 hours before K.O. By all meeting up before departure then last minute problems over missing players, boots or kit could be sorted quickly.

If the distance was over 50 miles we would hire a coach at a cost of between £10 - £15 per head or if nearer then we would travel by players' and parents' cars. I would Google map the home team's post code and issue abbreviated directions on meeting up before departure. The aged family Volvo would be called into service to carry the strip, 6 tackle pads, half a dozen balls, first aid kit and 2 sets of water bottles. Said aged family Volvo wagon (1988 [F} one careful owner from new, 133,000 MOT Oct 09) now up for sale incidentally!!!

Problems could arise when parents decided to travel directly and independently, however, we only had one hiccup that I can remember when the call went something like 'Hi, we are at Rosslyn Park, where are you guys?'.

'Er, didn't Alex mention that it was a home fixture today?'

The secret of management as I see it is to get the players into a routine; training is always at the same time on the same nights, all KO's are at 1400 on Sundays. We always wear Nos 1s after a game etc, etc. Establish a few simple rules and stick to them. Next, gather a small but select team of volunteers that you can trust to help you. Consider that the Head Coach (I had only one but, what a coach) heads up the coaching department. Even if you are a coach yourself, don't put your oar into his business. You head up the support department; everything other than coaching is yours to organise.

Don't expect any thanks only blame when things go wrong. Don't expect any help or funding from the club either, just be grateful that they allow you to use the pitch and the showers afterwards.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
We were then knocked out of the competition following some highly suspect refereeing from an individual who arrived 10 minutes before kick off, reeking of beer.

Sounds a bit like the whinging Kiwi's after the last RWC!

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
What? are you saying Barnes turns up drunk 10 mins before kick off?
Jeez ... must be an epidemic amongst top refs!
The stress of the job is taking its toll ...