Level 3
Red every day of the week.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That looked almost "Bakkiesesque!" - point of the shoulder straight to the opponent's head... with force!

RC every day of the week
Kindly lay aside your ozzie allegiance and reply again, Damo chap
emo-scotland.gif

Firstly, damo isn't an Aussie, he's a Kiwi (learn your Flags)

New Zealand
nz.gif

That West Island on the other side of the ditch
aus.gif

Secondly, I think you'll find damo meant that the RC was fine, not the clean-out.

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Kindly lay aside your ozzie allegiance and reply again, Damo chap :scot:

I have no love for the Wallabies, and I can assure you I have even less for Kepu.

As Ian surmises, I was saying the RC was fine not the cleanout. That is a very clear example of an incident that deserves a sending off.

Best view for anyone who hasn't had a good look at it:

https://streamable.com/pq7a0

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the worst aspect of this for Australia, was that the clean out was completely unnecessary. The tackled player (Gold 8) has already placed the ball back. All Kepu had to do was come in over the ball and stand guard the way Gold 5 did. The only thing Kepu succeeded in doing was getting himself RC.

I've always considered Kepu to be a thug in the mould of Richard Loe or Bakkies Botha. He seems intent on attacking the heads of opponents. This goes right back to the 2015 RWC Final where he seemed hell-bent on taking both McCaw's and Carter's heads off.

Frankly, the game would be better off without players like him.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've always considered Kepu to be a thug in the mould of Richard Loe or Bakkies Botha. He seems intent on attacking the heads of opponents. This goes right back to the 2015 RWC Final where he seemed hell-bent on taking both McCaw's and Carter's heads off.

He got pinged for a late tackle 20 mins in then a fairly innocuous high tackle a few minutes later. Subbed with 20 mins to go. Have I missed anything or was it NO who did the missing?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He got pinged for a late tackle 20 mins in then a fairly innocuous high tackle a few minutes later. Subbed with 20 mins to go. Have I missed anything or was it NO who did the missing?

20th minute - https://youtu.be/tLSVc2htLuw?t=2389
Late tackle on Carter. While there was a lot of debate on whether it was intentional (IMO, it was), what was missed was the fact that that the tackle was "no arms". This offence was a YC all tournament, why not in the final?

25th minute - https://youtu.be/tLSVc2htLuw?t=2785
Head-high tackle on Carter. There is no ****ing way this was an "innocuous" high tackle. It was a swinging forearm that made direct contact to the jaw of the ball carrier; with force. In any game this year, it could have been RC, is would definitely be a YC, and should have been in this match. Kepu seems to have developed a style where he aims at the opponent's head with a technique more like a forearm punch than a tackle wrap. This same technique was in evidence in what got him RC last night. Its also the same technique that teh late Jerry Collins developed. The All Blacks selectors made it clear to him that he must change the way he tackles.

38th minute - https://youtu.be/tLSVc2htLuw?t=3672
Late, head-high swinging arm on McCaw. After McCaw passes to Milner-Skudder, you see Kepu swing wildly at McCaw's head with another attempted forearm punch. Lucky for McCaw that his head was tucked down otherwise he might have been seriously injured.

41st minute - https://youtu.be/tLSVc2htLuw?t=4376
Head-high tackle on Milner-Skudder. Just prior to Ma'a Nonu's try, Milner-Skudder gets tackled, head high and quite clearly dangerous. In a further display of thuggery, Kepu rakes his fingers over Milner-Skudder's eye area after the tackle.

IMO, Kepu is a thug. This latest piece of work on Gordon Watson just confirms it for me.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Even from this staunch Oz fan...Kepu had to go. Deserved the red. A stupid act that only served to assist lose the game for his team.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought Gauzere did well. Calm, no histrionics, on with business.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What is of some interest is that, on first viewing, the ref (appeared to) missed it, I missed it and my watching companion missed it.

Leads me to wonder how many times this type of incident occurs on a Saturday afternoon in the weeds, and goes unseen & unpunished.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What is of some interest is that, on first viewing, the ref (appeared to) missed it, I missed it and my watching companion missed it.

Leads me to wonder how many times this type of incident occurs on a Saturday afternoon in the weeds, and goes unseen & unpunished.
now you know why you get called "blind c@nt"!:pepper::biggrin:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah.....and don't you forget it.

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
20th minute - https://youtu.be/tLSVc2htLuw?t=2389
Late tackle on Carter. While there was a lot of debate on whether it was intentional (IMO, it was), what was missed was the fact that that the tackle was "no arms". This offence was a YC all tournament, why not in the final?
IMO, Kepu is a thug. This latest piece of work on Gordon Watson just confirms it for me.

Hamish is the recipient of the shoulder to the head , Not Gordon :scot::scot:Not sure there was a Gordon in the matchday Squad on Saturday :scot::scot::scot: