Penalty in injury time

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
High level county game yesterday

black awarded a penalty in injury time 10m from blue line
black opt for "scrum"

referee says "not an option" and then seems to say "there isn't time", although that part wasn't that audible.

I thought scrums were a valid option on a penalty, so was the ref having a moment.

?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Scrum is always an option - and is in lieu of kick, so not a problem with time either.

Ref may have had a momentary lapse

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's what we thought.

We figured the ref was probably feeling the after effects of a vigorous night-before. :bday:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Perhaps he got confused by this.

Law 5.7(e) If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been
completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes
dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an
option to the non-infringing team
, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick
at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a
mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue.

Perhaps he thought if I give them an option, the game is over?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Since every penalty there is has an option attached then such would make a total mockery of the game.

Please... lets just not go there. We KNOW that's not what they mean. And we are fully used to the shambolic illiteracy that passes for iRB lawmaking

nobackchat

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Since every penalty there is has an option attached then such would make a total mockery of the game.

Please... lets just not go there. We KNOW that's not what they mean. And we are fully used to the shambolic illiteracy that passes for iRB lawmaking

Agreed

And I read "an option" to mean for example after an infringement at at restart..an option for a scrum center or re-kick where in this case I wouild blow the whistle for half/full time (versus a PK here or a scrum there which is the result of a penalty and a game can not end on a penalty). It's context for me.

nobackchat

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Perhaps he got confused by this.

Law 5.7(e) If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been
completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes
dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an
option to the non-infringing team
, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick
at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a
mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue.

Perhaps he thought if I give them an option, the game is over?

,,, adding to previous,...

wording difference between PK AWARDED to Blue versus PK or SCRUM CHOSEN by Blue ... whatever is chosen should be executed if awarded.