[Law] Penalty kicked to touch after full time

HappyScrummie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Hi all,

Just seeking some clarification after something came up in a match at the weekend (I was actually playing on this occasion).

The ref had called last play on a scrum, the ball came out and went into open play, taking us into injury time. We then conceded a penalty. The opposition kicked to touch and were allowed to take the lineout, from which they scored.

My understanding was that kicking the ball out on a penalty after time has elapsed signals the end of the game - hence the controversy when Wasps lost in the dying moments against Connacht in the Champions Cup from a line out in injury time last December.

I did a bit of digging - and it looks like World Rugby are trialling the idea of allowing the lineout from a penalty after time (presumably to stop players deliberately infringing at the end of a game), but I thought that trial only begain in the Northern Hemisphere from August.

Any thoughts? (That would also mean that the other trial laws outline below would not be applicable to us until the summer too).

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/global-law-trials-set-for-2017/

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
if all happened as you say, then it would appear that the ref may have got it wrong and might have had the trial for next year in their head, that said international refs get that wrong too :wink:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this happened a couple of times in Wellington. My fallible memory is that the lineout was awarded on Saturday (twice) but not on Sunday. Had no material impact.