[Law] Penalty offence by team that didn't knock on while playing advantage for the KO

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And you, just as mischievously, are asking questions you already know the answer to

hardly. We started the thread with some applying ALL foul play and some applying ONLY dangerous play.

We now (I think) are reaching consensus that the intent of the law is to apply ONLY dangerous play.

A worthwhile exercise IMO.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I disagree.

Red have scrum advantage, at the next ruck red 9 shouts "Are you f'ing blind or just cheating?" at you in response to your ignoring, dismissing his loud appealing for a penalty. Back for scrum?

In your example I wouldn't have penalised the KO, but had a word that next time they should ask. Empathy for the game.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OP - dangerous play only.
Red have scrum advantage, at the next ruck red 9 shouts "Are you f'ing blind or just cheating?" at you in response to your ignoring, dismissing his loud appealing for a penalty. Back for scrum?

This one would get a PK against Red and an early shower for the 9.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It's not dangerous play, though. So either back to the scrum, 7.2.c, or you're contradicting yourself.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
For me it’s not just dangerous play, but also anything cynical or misconduct. Conveniently Dangerous Play and Misconduct are sections in law 9 which about fit.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's not dangerous play, though. So either back to the scrum, 7.2.c, or you're contradicting yourself.

yes, fair call. Dangerous play or misconduct.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Fits my measure of would I reverse the penalty.