Penalty tries.

Baylion

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Two "controversial" penalty tries during Week 2 of Super Rugby sparked some discussion on the forums.

1. In the Crusaders v Chiefs game Ryan Crotty was diving for the try when a Chiefs player tackled him from the side and into touch with a "high tackle" around the neck/head even though Crotty was almost at ground level. Decision, after a TMO discussion, was that it was a dangerous tackle (high tackle) and a penalty try was awarded with a yellow card to the tackler.

https://youtu.be/nP9Cb0MZGj8

2. In the Lions v Jaguares game (no video available as yet) the Lions #8 passed the ball to his wing on the 22m with an open tryline when a defender near the #8 was deemed to have deliberately knocked the ball on to prevent the pass. There were two defenders steaming across from midfield who many feel could have cut off the winger if he had received the ball. Ref and TMO decided that a penalty try is warranted

In PT1 I think part of the "controversy" is due to people using the term "high tackle" rather than "dangerous tackle" and people struggle to come to grips with a "high tackle" happening at ground level.

In PT2 the discussion is around the fact that from 22m out, with defenders steaming in to cover, too much can still happen to make a try a "certainty".

Just as a matter of interest, in the Waratahs v Stormers game a Stormers player, Siya Kolisi, was penalised for a deliberate knockon at around the 22m mark and the ref and TMO looked to see whether there was an overlap and then decided there wasn't, and also discussed this with the Waratahs captain, so it does seem as if they are looking to see if there was a possibility (and probability) of try from quite far out

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In PT1 I think part of the "controversy" is due to people using the term "high tackle" rather than "dangerous tackle" and people struggle to come to grips with a "high tackle" happening at ground level.
C&O PT for me.

In PT2 the discussion is around the fact that from 22m out, with defenders steaming in to cover, too much can still happen to make a try a "certainty"
The law book uses the word "probable".
I am not usually a fan of arguments on wording, but in this case I think the difference is significant and intended.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Two "controversial" penalty tries during Week 2 of Super Rugby sparked some discussion on the forums.

1. In the Crusaders v Chiefs game Ryan Crotty was diving for the try when a Chiefs player tackled him from the side and into touch with a "high tackle" around the neck/head even though Crotty was almost at ground level. Decision, after a TMO discussion, was that it was a dangerous tackle (high tackle) and a penalty try was awarded with a yellow card to the tackler.

Nothing contentious IMO.

the need for 'last ditch' tackling doesn't imply a permission to do so dangerously or unlawfully

Baylion

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nothing contentious IMO.

the need for 'last ditch' tackling doesn't imply a permission to do so dangerously or unlawfully

Well put, elegantly phrased
:)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

In PT1 I think part of the "controversy" is due to people using the term "high tackle" rather than "dangerous tackle" and people struggle to come to grips with a "high tackle"

It's high in relation to the player's anatomy.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd not be in PT territory from that clip.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
As mentioned before, tackling a player's neck is high regardless of whether the player is standing or diving. Clear and obvious PT.

The 2nd one: I think a penalty kick and Yellow Card would have been enough.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
1st one: PT, YC - no complaints with that

2nd one: struggling to see a PT from those angles, but YC seems fine to me