TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hasn't been finalised as far as I know - or settled out of court

I'm pretty sure she is back working with Manly

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I will get the team's physios and tell them they can come on when needed. If they are about to get engulfed in men I will stop the game (this usually raises a smile of relief or disappointment) similarly if the striken player is sparko or squealing like a stuck pig with feet pointing in unnatural directions I will "generally" stop the game.

When I get physios, I brief that, they know their players get on and deal with it. I will keep them safe and if they need it stopping for any reason to indicate and I will stop it.

I think this works best allowing the game to continue whilst ensuring that the players safety is protected.

Non movement will always encourage me to stop the game due to the statements made in this thread that the still quiet ones are the biggest risk. Thats a fairly safe first aid principle.

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I was at a game a few years ago where a physio was tending to a player who was knocked out. The opposition broke away down the wing where this player was being tended to and the physio stuck a leg out purposely to trip the player up. Ref have a PK but I'm not sure what else he could so in this situation.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
tough one. you can't banish the physio from the sidelines i presume in case they're genuinely needed later.

if a try was likely, PT? technically not allowed under law, but under equity?

either way, report to the local powers that be and let them deal with it.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was at a game a few years ago where a physio was tending to a player who was knocked out. The opposition broke away down the wing where this player was being tended to and the physio stuck a leg out purposely to trip the player up. Ref have a PK but I'm not sure what else he could so in this situation.

"I saw a deliberate trip on the player. I can't imagine that the physio would have done something like that so therefore it must have been the player receiving treatment." Yellow card (at least) when he has been patched up.

No basis in law at all but an equitable outcome.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"I saw a deliberate trip on the player. I can't imagine that the physio would have done something like that so therefore it must have been the player receiving treatment." Yellow card (at least) when he has been patched up.

No basis in law at all but an equitable outcome.

Except if it is clearly and obviously the physio. What do you do then?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Time off. Wait for the physio to finish treating the player. Inform the physio he is to leave the ground. Scrum to the team going forward.
Post match - Remind the tripped player that he was assaulted and you are a witness if he wishes to pursue police options (which I'd strongly recommend), and report it to the league.

If you're not happy to continue without a physio - end the game. You cannot allow the physio back on the field after he / she has assaulted a player and deliberately affected play.

Last edited: