Plantar Fasciitis

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Having come off a few pitches hobbling quite badly after coaching or refereeing I bit the bullet and went to see the wife at work (she's an A & E nurse) who got my foot x-rayed incase of a stress fracture. When the consultant reviewed it I was diagnosed with Plantar fasciitis.

My question is, apart from anti-inflammatories, ice and rest has anyone got any experience treating this that speeds up the recovery as it's throbbing like b****ry this morning after walking the dog.

I should also add that I was given some cushioning felt to cut up and use as an insole in my shoes/boots

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Night splints
Roller (or tin of beans) to roll your foot on.
Loads of stretches, probably tight calves or hamstrings causing it.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Having come off a few pitches hobbling quite badly after coaching or refereeing I bit the bullet and went to see the wife at work (she's an A & E nurse) who got my foot x-rayed incase of a stress fracture. When the consultant reviewed it I was diagnosed with Plantar fasciitis.

My question is, apart from anti-inflammatories, ice and rest has anyone got any experience treating this that speeds up the recovery as it's throbbing like b****ry this morning after walking the dog.

I should also add that I was given some cushioning felt to cut up and use as an insole in my shoes/boots

Yes I've had it - as well as chronic Achilles tendonsis, calf tears, and hamstring and glutes problems.

Ice and anti-inflammatory might dull the pain, but wont fix the problem. In a nutshell there is no quick fix, and it could be caused by any one of many possible issues (it could be neural ie in your back). Get yourself down to a good physio and get them to do a proper diagnosis. Hopefully just some strapping and a program of calf raises will fix it! Though expect 3-8 weeks to get some real improvement.

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I have to say, with your NHS contact why on earth are you asking the question here? You have medical expertise on tap!

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
PF is a pain, and the only real way to get rid of it is good orthoses. The best ways of management are:
-RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
-Stretching and physical therapies

Where are you based?

Bisto

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I've suffered from it as well.
Physio advice was to make sure you have a pair of runners/joggers (whatever you call them over there) that have good heel support. Put them beside the bed so that you can put them on as you get out of bed in the morning. This definitely helps.
The first time I had it, it lasted about 3 weeks, the second time it lasted about a week or so. I have read that it can take some people, depending on the severity, anythng up to a year to recover.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I've had it briefly a few times, normally with new shoes/boots that I haven't run in gently enough.

For me what worked was putting a tennis ball on the ground and rolling it up and down with the sole of my bare foot. Do it for 2-3 minutes at a time every couple of hours or so and it will stretch it out and you'll be good to go in no time.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Having had it a couple of seasons ago, sufficiently badly to keep me out for a whole season. I had some serious physio provided by my employer.

They did the following.

1. Orthotics for my shoes as I over pronate.
2. Water bottle, filled with ice roll your foot across along to ice.
3. Acupuncture -- really really works.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've had it briefly a few times, normally with new shoes/boots that I haven't run in gently enough.

For me what worked was putting a tennis ball on the ground and rolling it up and down with the sole of my bare foot. Do it for 2-3 minutes at a time every couple of hours or so and it will stretch it out and you'll be good to go in no time.
The man is talking sense. Fascia release.
Should also be in your cool down and stretching after physical exercise.

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
As boring as it is PF IS all about stretching! (However the cold orange technique works very well!)