[Law] Player lies about age-U-19

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In England each level of rugby (club, CB, RFU) has a child safeguarding officer. If there was an 20 year old playing in a U18 game (ie a youth game) then that would certainly be a child safeguarding concern and you could complain there, and it would be taken pretty seriously.

But in England I don't think the remit of child safeguarding would include a 20 year old playing in an U19 game -- in our eyes they are all adults. Perhaps in the USA 21 is the key age and you could take that sort of route?

But to be honest : to me a 20 year old playing in the U19s doesn't sound like a safety issue, it sounds to me more a technical issue - equivalent to playing an unregistered player. Perhaps the union just doesn't think it's as big a deal as you do. What level game was it? In England at formal league levels playing unregistered players is quite a big deal and costs clubs league points and fines, but at merit table levels, in practice, no one cares much, as at the end of the day a game of rugby has happened (viz many/most merit table games have no team sheets)

or maybe I'm being too casual.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There's a longish backstory to the structure of USA Rugby, and transparency of organization.

The shortish version is: There isn't a single unified field theory. My referee society currently supports the following bodies:
1. Chesapeake Conference
2. Cardinals Conference
3. Capital GU
4. Mason Dixon
5. Capital GU Women
6. NSCRO
7. Rugby Virginia (Youth)

All those bodies have their own charters, competition rules, and disciplinary 'standards' despite USA Rugby's supposed adherence to World Rugby processes and standards. I handle discipline for 3 and 5.

It's balkanization ad absurdum. SBROs (the Youth Rugby arms) are notoriously shit at discipline, because it's run by coaches and asking them to enforce a sanction much beyond a smack on the wrist is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas (or Thanksgiving).

It is, by any stretch of the imagination, a complete ****ing shit show

Donk93953

Post Likes
"What level game was it?"

It was a high school, secondary school level.
Under USA Rugby rules a player cannot be over 19 years of age to play high school rugby...

"Players are eligible if they have not reached their 19th birthday by the September 1st that occurs at

the start of the school year containing the competitive season, including the summer following that
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif] school year."[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]That is pretty much required for all high school competitions in the USA in any sport.[/FONT]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's a longish backstory to the structure of USA Rugby, and transparency of organization.

The shortish version is: There isn't a single unified field theory. My referee society currently supports the following bodies:
1. Chesapeake Conference
2. Cardinals Conference
3. Capital GU
4. Mason Dixon
5. Capital GU Women
6. NSCRO
7. Rugby Virginia (Youth)

All those bodies have their own charters, competition rules, and disciplinary 'standards' despite USA Rugby's supposed adherence to World Rugby processes and standards. I handle discipline for 3 and 5.

It's balkanization ad absurdum. SBROs (the Youth Rugby arms) are notoriously shit at discipline, because it's run by coaches and asking them to enforce a sanction much beyond a smack on the wrist is like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas (or Thanksgiving).

It is, by any stretch of the imagination, a complete ****ing shit show

it may not be that different for us -- in terms of competition rules I have reffed in
RFU Leagues
Middlesex merit table
Surrey reserve leagues
Zoo Shield
HMMT Merit Tables
Sussex Merit table

these all have different regulations and competition sanctions. In general wherever a competition organiser has the power to alter a regulation they will use that power and alter it - So for instance the rules on subs and man-off - no two comps have the same
We also have university games and schools games, different again.

For an issue like playing children in the wrong age group, the RFU Regs would reign supreme, competition organisers can't change those BUT there again the regs are different for schools and clubs (schools have much more flexibility).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In England at formal league levels playing unregistered players is quite a big deal and costs clubs league points and fines, but at merit table levels, in practice, no one cares much, as at the end of the day a game of rugby has happened (viz many/most merit table games have no team sheets)
Gloucester 3 does not require registered players, nor do our Reserve Leagues. Do any Merit Tables require registration?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gloucester 3 does not require registered players, nor do our Reserve Leagues. Do any Merit Tables require registration?

I don't know -

Here's the Middlesex Merit Table

4. ELIGIBILTY OF PLAYERS
4.1 Teams may only select members of their Club.

4.2 A team may only select players for the Semi-Final and Final matches who have already played for that team in the competition. In exceptional circumstances the Organiser in his absolute discretion may waive this rule on a player-by-player basis, but the Organiser must be asked in writing and permission granted at least 24 hours before the match is played. Breach of this rule may lead to forfeiture of the match

So it seems yes - but team sheets aren't used.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
There's a lot of stuff not covered specifically, and much of that is due to the Balkanization of USA R. The discipline office will recommend handling under the more general " bringing the game into disrepute" regulation and imposing a swinging sanction.

i just suspended a guy for 2 years for playing under an assumed identity while suspended

Simon, is a swinging sanction something good, or something rather pendulous? :biggrin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Effing autocorrect rejected 'swingeing'

although it did fit nicely with my Roy Bean hashtag!