Players colliding contesting a ball in the air

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I believe there is a reasonable argument that the actions of the Blue #7 (which I view as illegal) distracted Williams both mentally & physically and that directly led to the dangerous tackle.

I agree

Penalising Williams is treating the symptom.

Penalising the obstructing Blue player is treating the cause.

However IMO, penalising the offside Red players is preventative.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I believe there is a reasonable argument that the actions of the Blue #7 (which I view as illegal) distracted Williams both mentally & physically and that directly led to the dangerous tackle.

I accept there is an argument, but thats way below the C&O waterline for me.

I'm imagining ....

Ref "15, the player's in the air and you have a responsibility to ensure he comes down safely"
Red " I was distracted by blue 7 sir"
Ref " OK , PK is cancelled cos you had to step outta the way of blue , PK to RED.....posts? , OK posts it is"
Blue capt..... " im confused sir, he knocks my player onto his head(exag) & we're penalised for something that happens 30 times per match unpunished

Referee coach shits a brick! Cue.....viewers commentators journalists and coaches all pick up their pens !

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
The Pro12 website says Williams has been cited for the challenge today. The citing officer deemed it sufficiently dangerous to have warranted a red card.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Chogan,
I'm saying that Williams was always going to be second on that instance, and as such he needed to recognise that rather than continue through the blue jumper. Its not a RC for arriving 2nd, it is if you endanger the 1st arriver who is in the air already.

You can usually tell who is jumping for the ball and who isnt .

Williams wasn't. So all onus of safety rests on his shoulders. : )

I have no argument with what you've said here.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Were you suggesting 2,6,7,8 were inside 10m where the ball was going to land?
You do realise that the old 10m circle was ditched and replaced with a line across the field, don't you?