Players in motion at penalty

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mike Whittaker said:
Perhaps time to give it a miss then Deeps... :)

Mike,

Since I am no longer paid for the privilege I have certainly given it a miss and would not go anywhere near the so called sports fraternity - accidents waiting to happen. I used to take my turn to be part of an on call team at readiness to re compress those who believed the laws of physics did not apply to them. Too often they were beyond any help by the time the helo landed.

I wonder what the most common cause of death is among rugby referees - earache possibly or not wearing a sufficiently different shirt when No 8s are loose!

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deeps said:
I wonder what the most common cause of death is among rugby referees - earache possibly or not wearing a sufficiently different shirt when No 8s are loose!

Deeps,
I recall one occasion when stepping back smartly from the place I had marked for a penalty (as one does when one remembers to enable a quick tap to be taken) I moved directly into the path of relatively fast moving lock "on the crash".

Landing back on the pitch some several metres further on I was fortunate to find I had arrived back on the planet on all fours - indeed an immaculate landing. My whistle was still firmly attached to my wrist by the regulation old bootlace and I was able to blow it to halt play whilst my own situation was reassessed.

The whistle blowing was unecessary. Looking up I realised the players were standing round motionless with bemused looks on faces. With great care and consideration I was raised to my feet to face one lock who had an expression of such guilt as I have never witnessed before on a pitch.

"What do you want us to do with him?" I was asked. Unable to stop myself laughing we resumed play and enjoyed the rest of the game. Suffice to say, no decisions were queried and the atmosphere in the bar was a good reflection of the spirit on the pitch. And it was pre breathaliser days!

Maybe not the commonest cause of death but it does bring us nicely back to the subject of 'players in motion' :)