Probable try, or near certain?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Same debate on here numerous times, are you looking for a probable try, or are you erring towards near certainty before you give it? Put yourself in the middle here, what's your call?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Possible, not probable for me. PK and YC.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I probably would not have awarded a PT as I think Blue 9 was in good position to stop him. This is one of those marginal incidents where I would not object if the referee had awarded PT.

However, Blue 13 is definitely in the bin for that!

So, what happened?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The best view angle is the last one.

B9 wouldn't have prevented a try IMO, so PT.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
There was a scenario over the weekend that gave rise to a similar question. NO in the middle, Northampton attacking fairly close to the Racing Metro line, George North (who I think is the competition's leading scorer) about to receive the overlap pass that would give him his second try, having scored an identical one at 48 minutes. Lapeyre takes one for the team and deliberately knocks on to prevent GN from receiving the overlap pass just a few yards out.

AR calls it in to NO, who goes over to have a chat, confirms that they don't need to go upstairs, issues the YC, and then awards the PK with no consideration whatsoever of the PT. A true :holysheep: :wtf: moment for me, but the commentators equally didn't think it worthy of mention so there was no replay showing the wider view.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
PK YC for me, that said Sacky was in support too, but too many "what ifs", so PK YC.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Happy to give a PT here (if I'm sitting upstairs)
1:10, side view: beam 13 blue up and white 12 would probably have caught the ball
1:50, back view: beam 13 blue up, white 12 would caught the ball full pace and run the line he's on (towards corner flag), blue 9 probably wouldn't have caught him.

YC for blue 13 and PT.

My 2 cents,
Pierre.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
There was a scenario over the weekend that gave rise to a similar question. NO in the middle, Northampton attacking fairly close to the Racing Metro line, George North (who I think is the competition's leading scorer) about to receive the overlap pass that would give him his second try, having scored an identical one at 48 minutes. Lapeyre takes one for the team and deliberately knocks on to prevent GN from receiving the overlap pass just a few yards out.

AR calls it in to NO, who goes over to have a chat, confirms that they don't need to go upstairs, issues the YC, and then awards the PK with no consideration whatsoever of the PT. A true :holysheep: :wtf: moment for me, but the commentators equally didn't think it worthy of mention so there was no replay showing the wider view.

My first instinct was also PT + YC. When NO asks whether they need to look, I suspect the AR says they don't need to as he is sure that it was deliberate (not that he's sure that it wasn't a try scoring situation). As to whether NO considered PT, I suspect not, or I imagine he would have asked a better question.
Certainly one where we (ie England - no idea whether the Welsh lads have other agreements in place) would be expecting the TMO to challenge given that (as a BT game) the TMO would have a delay screen he would have seen the initial wide angle on.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The First in a PT for me. However, I can understand one not being given. I can't comment on the second as I did not see it. I would imagine that IF Nigel asked for the ARs secomendation (having not seen it himself) he'd have gone on that advise. Assuming the AR was clear and confident as to what he had seen an the correct outcome.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Initially PK and YC

with the TMO replay

Penalty try and YC.