Professional foul/intentional infringement?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As to the off-sides question: Even if a ruck had formed the "injured" player would have been put on-sides by the opponents passing the ball.

No, you're confusing two Laws there.

An opponent passing the ball only puts an offside player onside if he was offside in General Play

[LAWS]11.3 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY OPPONENTS
In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an
action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under
the 10-Metre Law.

(a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside
player is put onside.

(b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put
onside.

(c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not
catch it, the offside player is put onside.[/LAWS]

The Law governing making an offside player onside at a Phase of Play (i.e. when General Play has ended) is different...

[LAWS]11.8 PUTTING ONSIDE A PLAYER RETIRING DURING A RUCK, MAUL, SCRUM OR LINEOUT
When a ruck, maul, scrum or lineout forms, a player who is offside and is retiring as required by Law remains offside even when the opposing team wins possession and the ruck, maul, scrum or lineout has ended. The player is put onside by retiring behind the applicable offside line. No other action of the offside player and no action of that player’s team mates can put the offside player onside.
If the player remains offside the player can be put onside only by the action of the opposing team. There are two such actions:

Opponent runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball has run 5 metres, the offside player is put onside. An offside player is not put onside when an opponent passes the ball. Even if the opponents pass the ball several times, their action does not put the offside player onside.

Opponent kicks. When an opponent kicks the ball, the offside player is put onside.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It seems to me that, if he is not offside, an injured player is entitled to get to his feet at any time and join in the play.

Not for me.

10.4(m) m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.
Sanction: Penalty kick

For me the action of being "injured" then able to male a tackle and "injured" again stinks.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pegleg:287360 said:
It seems to me that, if he is not offside, an injured player is entitled to get to his feet at any time and join in the play.

Not for me.

10.4(m) m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.
Sanction: Penalty kick

For me the action of being "injured" then able to male a tackle and "injured" again stinks.

So when a player recovers from an injury.. What, he can only get up if the ball is at least, what, 20m away? 30m?
I just don't see it. If he has recovered, he can play, right?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
He can rejoin play but not gain from suddenly popping up just when play just happens to be near. In the video the player clearly was not "recovered" as he immediately went down injured after attempting the tackle. That is contrary to good sportsmanship and I would not allow it

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If an injured player can stand up and play but then has to go down, you were doing it wrong firstly by not stopping the game as the play was in the vicinity of the injured player and physios.

Avoid giving any advantage to the injured player and also to the non-injured team that uses him as a blocking screen.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
That's exactly what happened in the clip.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Forget about the offside for the moment. Why can't an injured player rejoin the game as & when he feels fit to do so?

If the game can continue without him whilst he gets treated, then of course he can whenever that treatment ends. But back to the offside, he has to be or become onside before he does so. 11.8 seems appropriate here.

Remember this .... http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2830321/

Last edited: