Punted Re-start!?!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cause you're just about to beat one into him?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Owen's game was a Merit Table game which is a "friendly league" system where various things like number of subs, strict league registration of players, etc. are relaxed to encourage wider participation.

If I've read his description correctly, the "offending" team were being stuffed so letting them get away with it once and having a word at the next break in play might have been the appropriate action depending on tempers at the time.

Note my use of "Stricter". How strict would depend on the situation taking all factors into account.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
As it turned out the non offending team opted for the kick to be retaken.

When he asked me I suggested I'd just get him to re-take it.

Hi Lee,

I knew I'd seen that name before but didn't put 2 and 2 together.

So you had an afternoon in Sunny Northampton...? Did Scouts look after you well?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi Lee,

I knew I'd seen that name before but didn't put 2 and 2 together.

So you had an afternoon in Sunny Northampton...? Did Scouts look after you well?

No.

That is I wasn't in N'ton last weekend.

I was there the week before when he did his first two games at BBOB (and Casuals on the Sunday).

We spoke about the punt restart on Saturday night.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Now that I've read the lawbook, I think strictly speaking it should have been a Kick Again / Scrum option, but TBH I think I would have given him another go after explaining quietly that it had to be a Drop Kick. They're 60 points down already .... and the game isn't over yet; there's no hope in hell of them making a comeback so there's no point humiliating the poor sod any more. I assume this happened in a senior game - if it had happened in say a school game, it's little things like that that could put an inexperienced player off rugby for life. One side will think you're a dick - the other side will think you're the best ref they've had all season. Personally, I would go with what I think felt right.

What a fluffy cotton wool wrapped load of tosh....:biggrin:.. If such a minor matter dissuaded the player from ever playing rugby again, then he likely didn't have the character for the sport anyway . . . rugby isn't for the sensitive & easily offended wimpy kids, they play ludo & press flowers ...