[Law] Pushing a ball carrier

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
So I just got a call from a buddy who refs underage rugby with another of his periodic questions arising from his game...

Ball carrier running near the touchline is pushed into touch by an opponent.

Now we know this is allowed, so I said I'd send him a screen shot of the relevant part of the lawbook, except I can't blooming well find it!

It used to be in law 7 but I've been searching and searching and can't find it referenced in the current lawbook. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Law 9.15 says “Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push, charge or obstruct an opponent not in possession of the ball.” I guess you could read into that that a player who is not in possession of the ball CAN push a player who IS in possession of the ball.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If it's not forbidden, then it must be allowed (note the catch-all in 9.11)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not forbidden, but strongly discouraged at age grade, especially the younger they are - trying to encourage them to tackle, and they are less equipped to make a judgement on what will be safe or not. One for the ref to make a coaching point on pitch about what should happen, unless dangerous, in which case sanction as needed. Same with gabbing a player and swinging them around like a rag doll, happens a lot with size mismatches

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not forbidden, but strongly discouraged at age grade, especially the younger they are - trying to encourage them to tackle, and they are less equipped to make a judgement on what will be safe or not. One for the ref to make a coaching point on pitch about what should happen, unless dangerous, in which case sanction as needed. Same with gabbing a player and swinging them around like a rag doll, happens a lot with size mismatches

Well said.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Same with gabbing a player and swinging them around like a rag doll, happens a lot with size mismatches

this is formally forbidden here for junior rugby

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Would make life a lot easier with jobsworth coaches if it was here too :-(

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
As a minis coach we also strongly encourage at tackle, but we also strongly encourage them not to run down the touch line making a push into touch possible