Qualification Rules

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes it's true as he's been picked! and who cares why?

Where's your problem :chin:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Serving for a country seems like a pretty good reason for mine. If he's willing to fight under that flag then I'm sure he deserves the privilege of playing under it too.

Obviously I know nothing about the rules though.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yet the BBC has quoted that he qualifies on the 36 month residency rule.

I would presume it is a journalistic shorthand.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Serving for a country seems like a pretty good reason for mine. If he's willing to fight under that flag then I'm sure he deserves the privilege of playing under it too.

Spike Milligan

Born in India. Served in the British Army in WWII. Lived in England for many years. Refused a British passport unless he would swear an oath of allegiance to the crown. All this despite fighting for "king and country". Mind you he was crap at sport.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I believe the BBC (in this case).

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes

But he isn't in the English Army.
As he's in the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, perhaps he should be Scottish :scot:

(I assume really it's residence as he lives in Warminster army accommodation with his family).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pegleg:285655 said:

Spike Milligan

Born in India. Served in the British Army in WWII. Lived in England for many years. Refused a British passport unless he would swear an oath of allegiance to the crown. All this despite fighting for "king and country". Mind you he was crap at sport.

On his gravestone it says
I told you I was ill

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
According to Wikipedia he played for a junior club during basic training in 200 then joined RSDG at the regimental base Germany and played for a local club there and had at least one active tour to Afghanistan.

I believe that once he was selected for the Army XV he moved to Warminster and joined Bath playing for Bath United and then the full XV. In which case his primary residence has been Warminster since at least 2011 so he qualifies by residence even if you argue his home before that was in Germany with the RSDG.

If he does not qualify, the RFU will be fined by the IRB

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
According to Wikipedia he played for a junior club during basic training in 200 then joined RSDG at the regimental base Germany and played for a local club there and had at least one active tour to Afghanistan.

I believe that once he was selected for the Army XV he moved to Warminster and joined Bath playing for Bath United and then the full XV. In which case his primary residence has been Warminster since at least 2011 so he qualifies by residence even if you argue his home before that was in Germany with the RSDG.

If he does not qualify, the RFU will be fined by the IRB

Seems to me a to be more bonafide route to international Cap than prising young talent from their village via a bursary scout of a professional clubs or a rugby competitive private school.