[Law] Question about the TMO

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
We know that in a tight international - especially a knock out game - the TMO will spend what seems like hours looking at video angles to determine if a try has been scored.

However, I have never seen them look at a kick.

Is the TMO permitted to look in close up to determine whather the ball actually touched the turf or was kicked directly from hand.

We all know that you cannot punt a goal - but punts are longer and better directed.

Let's say Blue are behind by two and time is running out, the ball is passed by to the fly half who lets loose a kick from 40 meters out that splits the uprights. The ref may not have a great view - can the TMO check it was a legitimate drop kick?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm not sure about that, but I can tell you that a punt is usually kicked higher in the arc of the kicker's "swing". A punt from a ball that drops sufficiently low so that you might mistake it for a drop kick does not go very far. You try it next time you are out training; drop the ball so that you kick it just before it touches the ground - you will almost certainly end up with a "grubber" kick (and don't come back and blame me if you hurt your foot trying it!)

That technique is commonly used for executing a "wipers" kick.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess he could do. But Ian's point pretty much answers why it aint worth the sweat!

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Yes we are lucky to benefit from the experience of old props when it comes to understanding about kicking technique!
��

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes we are lucky to benefit from the experience of old props when it comes to understanding about kicking technique!
��

You think props can't kick?

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol1qjn7xiiz7r9r/20191026_073645.mp4?Raw=1[/video]

.. and as for old, well at least I am old enough to remember the late Terry Clawson!

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not all props started there. Some of us were backs that discovered beer in high school.