Quick throw......to opposition duh!!

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Still can't believe this one...Senior Vase.... Yellow v Maroon. 1/2 way through second half ball goes into touch and is retrieved by yellow (it's a yellow throw). Comes to where TJ has marked touch...Maroon milling about no yellows yet. Ball hasn't touch anything or anyone, I haven't blown my whistle. The yellow player then proceeds to throw the ball in and its caught by a maroon player who runs unopposed the length of the field and scores........duh.

Captain comes up to me and says "he was passing the ball to them", I said "But it was your line out!!!!!!!".......then he said something about sportsmanship.....WTF?????

Still can't believe it happened

Last edited:

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Exactly the same thing happened to me towards the beginning of last season ... very very bizarre and the only explanation I could fathom was that the fullback who took the quick throw had been day-dreaming and didn't realise it was his team's throw! The only difference with your scenario was that the guy on the other team who the ball was thrown to panicked and kicked it straight into touch (I think he was as surprised as me and didn't keep his head).

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Picky point - but, why had you not blown your whistle?

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ball was not dead and to be honest I stood there open mouthed not quite believing what I just saw!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Comes to where TJ has marked touch...Maroon milling about no yellows yet. Ball hasn't touch anything or anyone,

As he came to the line of touch it doesn't matter if the ball has been touched. Its not a quick throw in, just a quckly taken throw in :D

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Trevor Leota did something similar in a match i was playing in ... you should have seen the smiles on the 29 other players .... An international rugby player making a right cockup!

Davet

Post Likes
But it was dead. It was in touch. The law requires you blow your whistle to indicate it is in touch.

Blowing the whistle to make the ball dead and indicate touch is what enable the quick throw, since that is a restart and you can't have a restart until you've had a stop.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Davet - I do not believe a player must wait for the referee's whistle before he can take a QT. The ball is dead when it goes into touch, not when the referee blows his whistle.

The corollary is that if a player manages to take a QT before you blow, then don't blow, or players will think you are stopping play.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Davet - I do not believe a player must wait for the referee's whistle before he can take a QT. The ball is dead when it goes into touch, not when the referee blows his whistle.

The corollary is that if a player manages to take a QT before you blow, then don't blow, or players will think you are stopping play.

6.A.8 THE REFEREE’S WHISTLE

(e) The referee must blow the whistle when the ball has gone out of
play,
or when it has become unplayable, or when a penalty is
awarded.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
6.A.8 THE REFEREE’S WHISTLE

(e) The referee must blow the whistle when the ball has gone out of
play,
or when it has become unplayable, or when a penalty is
awarded.

That's an obligation on us. It doesn't mean the player has to wait for us.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
From the Definitions:
Dead: The ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and stayed there, or when the referee has blown his whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.

I say again - if you blow when a QT has already been taken, players will think you are stopping play.

Rew15

Referees in England
Post Likes
I benefitted from this in my playing days.
In 1999 a national cup quarter final vs St Just.
A very close game,we're winning in the last 20 minutes, and we had just kicked the ball to touch from deep in our half, ball out on the half way line.

Their fullback takes a quick throw to himself but I had come up field to mark,as a good back three player should. As he threw the ball I jumped and caught it and hared off to their tryline and outpaced the cover defence to score in the corner and we win through.:biggrin:
Thank you very much!!

We eventually go on to Twickenham and win said cup competition.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Davet

Post Likes
OB

I did not say they had to wait for the whistle, and agree that if the QT is taken befiore the whistle sounds that the ref should simply concede that the players were quicker than he was, and not try to catch up.

But I would normally expect a ref to blow faster than a player can - as described - retrieve the ball, run to LoT and then throw.

It is the whistle that alerts players to the fcat that touch has been given, and sets the scene for what happens next. Avoiding things like a defender 3m in catching the ball because he thought play was simply continuing.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
The more pressing point is - how close did you get to the try when you awarded it? Joined the 22 Club??

For the record, on the "blowing whistle point", if a quick one is being taken, I dont blow my whistle - there is no point. I tend to wait a sec or two before doing so. I hold up my hands for this persistent law error and expect my career to be halted thus.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The more pressing point is - how close did you get to the try when you awarded it? Joined the 22 Club??

For the record, on the "blowing whistle point", if a quick one is being taken, I dont blow my whistle - there is no point. I tend to wait a sec or two before doing so. I hold up my hands for this persistent law error and expect my career to be halted thus.

What he said

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mr Lewis are you suggesting with my prop like physique that I failed to make the 22m before awarding the try???

It wasn't 7's you know!! (I was about 10m away as he grounded with no oppo in sight).

What OB said..... I didn't have time to blow as it happened so quickly, I simply did not expect it to happen.

Last edited: