Really Very Unhappy Ref

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yesterday, I had a great afternoon, fast paced game, good skills played in near perfect conditions, and I also got some good feedback from people around.

So I rocked up this morning to do a U17 game in absolutely foul weather. Good briefing, found a boot with a single stud at the toe, warmed up, kicked off.

3 minutes in, at the intersection of the 5 metre lines in Red's red zone, I played advantage to Gold as Red 12 came in the side. Gold recycled the ball, crashed over the try line, and I was perfectly positioned to see a red player strip the ball, all legal. I blew for the penalty advantage, and as the whistle note started, a red lock weighing about 15 stone, hit me at right angles to my left knee, sending me crashing to the floor. One of the coaches was with me in seconds with a helpful "Are you OK sir? I heard that pop!"

Here ends the first half of my season, with a suspected dislocated knee:( :( :(

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Oh shit Stuart. Very sorry to hear that :(

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Stu, very bad luck mate :(

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
That's pap mate! Not impacted your clipboard arm though?

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
No but the ref will need to take drinks from players for a while

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have never seen a boot with a single stud at the toe in the last 15 years - where on earth did that one come from?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
sorry to hear it stuart. you're still doing your stuff at the club though - right? and yes - same as davet - what in the heck kinda boot was it?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Very unlucky Stuart. I am sorry to read that.

That's pap mate! Not impacted your clipboard arm though?

Cheeky!! Do most grounds in England have sideline wheelchair access for assessors??

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
He's referring to my duties as 4th official in the RFU Championship

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's no good. However think positive first time I did mine I was playing again after 5 weeks.

Here's to a quick recovery.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
He's referring to my duties as 4th official in the RFU Championship

And I was rather hoping the same role at the A League fixtures also at Sixways where one KML1 will be sure to have a spare whistle in his pocket.....

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Unlucky stuart,
When it settles down, getyt to your club and support any ref who turns up, at least you'll be involved even if it is not as an official assessor or coach

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK, first time I've been back on a PC instead of the phone. Thanks for all your thoughts. It was dislocated but slid neatly back in as I landed. 5 weeks recovery may be a little optimistic at my age, but it is feeling better, although very swollen.

KML1 - for some reason I only do first team games, not A league, so sorry to disappoint.

As to the toe stud, I asked the kid where he got the boots - they had been lent by a parent (a former FR), and they were replaced before the start!

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
For all the time getting ready and to the pitch they could have given you at least a half before running you over :biggrin:

Good luck with the recovery.