Receiver entering a lineout

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
My understanding is that for 15's, once the numbers have been set the receiver can only enter the lineout prior to the throw if another player drops back to the receiver position. The 2011 Refereeing 7's Handbook says there is no requirement for a player to drop back to the receiver position. Is my view for 15's out of whack or is this bad info in the 7's Handbook?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In 15s you are correct.
In 7s the halfback may not join until the ball has been thrown in.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
My understanding is that for 15's, once the numbers have been set the receiver can only enter the lineout prior to the throw if another player drops back to the receiver position. The 2011 Refereeing 7's Handbook says there is no requirement for a player to drop back to the receiver position. Is my view for 15's out of whack or is this bad info in the 7's Handbook?

Woody you referee in the US.

Very simply, ignore this. The receiver can do whatever they want without being replaced. Everyone can piss and moan about it but that's what we are doing here end of, forget about this and move on.

PM is correct with his new guide.

RE has personally told me for the 15s.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
There's been a few rulings on this.

I'm not able to give a link at the moment.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
US Rules... er, I mean Laws, are what is out of whack - but hey, what's new?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'll endorse what DrSTu says.

I have the (of absolutely no ****ing use to anyone because it explains nothing) e-mail from the National Office patting me on the head, saying "there there" and that I should worry my pretty little head about other stuff. And that the receiver can enter the line without being replaced.

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thanks.

I'll just go bang my head against the wall.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Then the players get to international level and complain ....

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I noticed in the Stormers vs Bulls game recently that Victor Matfield is (still) entering the line from the receiver position before the throw but now a player (usually at the back) is stepping out as he goes in - hitherto he was one of those who habitually got away with it (since the ELVs etc).

NB I remember the little videos from the SH to illustrate the ELVs showed a receiver entering the line out before the ball was thrown (it was a Western Province game from SA) eh?????? :confused: