Recognise and Remove - a guide to concussion for Referees.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Following on from a discussion about Elite referee's (mis)handling of concussion recently.

Irish Rugby TV: Concussion Protocols For Referees
Informative six and a half minute video presentation clip. No mention of any trick questions to put to the injured player, as some have suggested. Simply apply Law 3.9 if you have any doubts, or see any one of the recognisable symptoms.

[laws]3.9 The referee’s power to stop an injured player from continuing

If the referee decides – with or without the advice of a doctor or other medically qualified person – that a player is so injured that the player should stop playing, the referee may order that player to leave the playing area. The referee may also order an injured player to leave the field in order to be medically examined.[/laws]Suggested communication when handing over the player :
Ref said:
"I am removing this player from the field of play with a suspected concussion. They now need to be monitored and should be assessed medically."

There is No injury assessment, nor PSCA (Pitch Side concussion Assessment) in the amateur game (in IRFU-land) So, if in doubt, sit them out! is the watch word.

A Guide to Concussion in Rugby Union outlines four simple, important, messages: Stop - Inform - Rest - Return.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Well done the RFU :

Headcase said:
Even if a player is cleared to play by a team doctor and you are concerned that they continue to show signs or symptoms of concussion you should remind the doctor of their responsibilities to the player and you are within your rights, under Law 3.9, to remove the player from the game.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
World Rugby (Formerly iRB) conference in London highlights School Boy rugby as being high risk. :(
Earlier this week (18 Nov 2014) they asked
"Are schools getting the message on the danger of concussion in rugby?"
The answer is yes ; albeit too late for young Ben.

Two part clip : Part 1
The dead boy's Dad admits that hind-sight is on his side ; but watching a video of the game (IRFU 2010), folks now ask themselves how come the adults present (coach, referee) didn't take the boy off. The tragic loss of their child was completely preventable. If the coach won't take the child off, (for what-ever reason) then the referee does have a responsabliity to do so.

Part 2 was meant to air the views of the teen-agers playing the game, but the clip seems not to include the rest of the report.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
69 minutes : Irish scrum-half receives attention after he took an accidental kick to the head
Says "I am fine", plays on for 3 minutes, before the team doctor comes to his senses and takes the player off.

79 minutes : Irish out-half is then concussed & is replaced by the number 9 who has miraclously recovered from his kick to the head. He had to put in some big tackles in the last couple of minutes of play against the Australians.

Professional rugby has learnt nothing. Will someone have to die before these Muppets change their ways? :(

Last edited:

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Professional rugby has learnt nothing. Will someone have to die before these Muppets change their ways? :(

Independent doctor(s) with direct responsibility to IRB (I mean World Rugby) for internationals? By independent I do not mean necessarily flying in someone from far away, just not employed by the side involved. And the same for the pro game elsewhere.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
69 minutes : Irish scrum-half receives attention after he took an accidental kick to the head
Says "I am fine", plays on for 3 minutes, before the team doctor comes to his senses and takes the player off.

79 minutes : Irish out-half is then concussed & is replaced by the number 9 who has miraclously recovered from his kick to the head. He had to put in some big tackles in the last couple of minutes of play against the Australians.

The fairest thing to do would be to award the game to Australia ;)

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Last weekend I had Blues hooker snort at me after I sent a player off with a head injury, who couldn't recite his own telephone number and thought he was in Bury St Eds. We were in deepest essexs. Sir who do you think you are sending him off, you have no right. There you go hooker :noyc: sit with him and make sure he is ok.
Club house: Sir I think yellow carding Mr was harsh.
Oh really?
Skipper (physio on trauma and orthopaedics comes over and puts said hooker in his place. "Sorry sir, when he asked me in the dressing rooms before the game how come you and the referee know each other? And I told him he teaches Advanced trauma life support at my hospital, it obviously didn't sink in"

I know I have the backing of Knowledge, but human beings have an ingrained predator like instinct on knowing somebody is well or not.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
You were right to get the player with the head injury off the field - well done.

In retrospect could you have managed the hooker differently?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
. In retrospect could you have managed the hooker differently?

Yes Daftmedic, you could have asked him a simple question such as " where on the pitch are we" ,
then when he answers " who gives a monkeys toss , we're winning the hugs 4-2 & we've got them so low that i stole their last feed with my forehead"

Then you could take such gibberish utterrings as him 'also' sounding concussed, and remove him from the game as purely 'belts and braces' approach.:bday: