Reds vs Warrahta

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian Cook - ball is in goal on ground and moving, never leaving contact with the ground. player with feet in tig grounds the ball with his hand. Has he not controlled/held it in the act of grounding it?

Nope, he has instantly put downward pressure on the ball, and the try has been scored the moment he put downward pressure on, before there is any control

As for your other example (the ball is 10mm in the air)

if I see it (unlikely) no try
if I don't (which is more likely), try awarded.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If you touch a ball in flight that is already moving forwards does that constitute a knock on?

If the ball lands closer to the opposition DBL than the point where it is touched? Yes, knock forward

....The ball was moving towards the oppo goal line, he tries to catch it, misses the clean catch, touches end of the ball nearest the goal line. Physics says that action cannot move the ball towards the goal line, just not possible

True, nonetheless, the touch contact in the "front" of the ball may slow its velocity, but if it is not slowed sufficiently to prevent the ball from touching the ground "ahead" of where it was touched by the player, it is still a knock on.

Scenario

Player kicks ahead and chases, then when he catches up, he tries to catch the ball, which is bouncing end-over-end towards the opposition goal-line. In his attempt, he gets his hands ahead of the ball, and it bounces backwards and upwards off his fingertips. He overshoots the ball, which lands behind him, but still ahead of (i.e. closer to the opposition DBL than) where he tried to catch it.

What would YOU rule?

a. knock-forward?
b. play-on?

Justify your ruling in Law!