Replacements question

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A thought occurred to me during Sale v Bath.
Situation - 2 players from one side go off for blood and are temporarily replaced. As 4th official, you would be handed two replacement cards. On each would be the number of the player coming off and the number of his replacement.
Obviously, if they are both stitched up at the same time, they can come back on together. No problem.

However, if one player is ready before the other, do they have to swap with the player they were down to replace on the replacement card, or can the side involved choose which replacement to haul off first??

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
This isn't football. Rugby officials are permitted to use common sense, and apply the law rather than the mechanics of regulations.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Here's one:
Number two gets a red card. Number 5 goes off for the front row replacement. Can he be used for a sub or is 5's day done?

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
My opinion would be that the blood sub can only be replaced by the person that he replaced. if blue 1 and blue 7 clash and are replaced specifically by blue 17 and blue 19 then when blue 1 is ready he has to replace blue 17 and only 17. The problems would arise if you replaced blue 7 with blue 17 and there was a scrum and only one prop on the pitch.

I believe that 5 could be used as a blood replacement only.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
pWhaling - If #5 went off as part of 3.13(b) I would say that he is eligible for substitution later in the game as he is not injured/off for blood, as if you read 3.13(c) #5 comes back into play when the temporary suspension expires, and the front row replacement goes off. I can't see why the laws would punish the team twice for a RC to a front rower, first the loss of the player then the loss of the substitute because the laws require trained FRR's.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Jacko, i would say they must change back with the player on the card. If a different person comes off after a blood sub, then the other team are liable to protest the result on a technicality if they lose?
It's just not worth the hassle, especially at that level.