[Scrum] Return FR Player from Sin Bin early

PG_BoE

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
With reference to France vs Wales; Francis, Wales, returned to the FR in 80 + Mins and the fullback went off so that contested scrums could continue following the Yellow Card to Samson Lee. This I understand was Francis had been substituted tactically, not replaced injured.

So what if Francis had been replaced injured and there were no remaining FR-trained players on the bench or on the field. Would that mean that the 'binned' player, Samson Lee, would return? Or do we at that point give up and go uncontested?

Also does it imply that the 4th official needs to keep records at the point of substitution of a FR player in case such a situation arises later on in the game .. ? It seemed a bit week on Saturday that the question had to be asked - apparently - for the first time when the 80+minute incident occurred.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If all the other props have gone off injured then the Yellow Card stay off (14 men) and it's uncontested until his Sin Bin is over and he comes back on.

The coach has to fill in a card for the 4th official saying who is going off and who is going on before a change can take place. On that card he has to indicate tactical or injury (Substitution or Replacement) as the reason.

Last edited:

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Barnes asked for "the card" (in English and French) so presumably there's a record made of whether a replacement is tactical or for injury. The fourth official just didn't seem to be ready with the information.

Scrums would have been uncontested if Lee was the only fit player able to play fully in the front row - I think I heard Barnes explaining that to the French captain (and I think he ascertained whether Francis could come back on before making France choose a scrum, which extended the delay - Francis took time for a quick warm up/practice - but was fair to France as they might have wanted to take a tap kick if the scrum was unconstested.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
YC'd player is not coming back for 10mins of playing time, what ever happens! You are right, if there is not STE FR player it's uncontested.

Us refs aren't lucky enough to have a 4th, but I always ask when a prop is changed if it's injury or Tech sub/interchange. That said, even if they say it's a tactical sub and then he's required to come back, if the coach/physio say he's not fit to carry on, you can't force him/her to come back!