Return to Battle

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had my first senior match since injury early October yesterday. The fixture was rearranged early Saturday morning, 2nds v 4ths local friendly, Black v Red.

I received a great welcome - cup of tea offered by at least 7 people, plate of biccies. Oppo was late arriving, and had to borrow a prop as they were short-handed.

One of the Society watchers arrived, having been tasked to watch a young ref who had apparently been allocated elsewhere, so as I hadn't been assessed for a while I asked him to watch me rather than waste a journey, to which he agreed.

It wasn't pretty rugby, but it was played with great enthusiasm. I felt my penalty count was a bit high initially, but they soon settled down and played. There was some enterprise, the black 9 having a penchant for chipping and chasing. Just before half time, with the score at 17-3 to black, a red player tried a chip about the black 22 or just inside. As he did so, 2 black players closed in on him, and stopped him from following his own kick. One of them foolishly made eye contact, and I was swift to YC :noyc: him despite protests from the red skipper. His body language confirmed my decision - "It's a fair cop, sir" was written all over him. I didn't give the penalty try because with a 3 metre in-goal I felt it unlikely a score was certain

Second half trundled on, final score 45-3 to black. I had really good feedback from both skippers and my assessor and left on top of the world.

This is the reason why I do this! A great afternoon of rugby, enjoyed by all. Stiff as hell now tho!

Fat Twin

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Good stuff Stuart. The good days make it all worth while - particularly when players et al properly appreciate your contribution to the match. I much prefer to ref 2nd XV than many First Teams. Quality can be really good - but no mad spectators and little pressure!

Keep up the good work.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good stuff Stuart. The good days make it all worth while - particularly when players et al properly appreciate your contribution to the match. I much prefer to ref 2nd XV than many First Teams. Quality can be really good - but no mad spectators and little pressure!

Keep up the good work.
Oh there were mad spectators, but I'm deaf in that ear!