RFU Regulation 15 - 8 MAUL - Use it or Lose it - 5,4,3,2,1.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I refereed Hampshire u14 cup game for my club on Sunday so downloaded and read

RFU REGULATION 15 – AGE GRADE RUGBY (APPENDIX 8) 3 Effective from 1 August 2019

I noticed change in variation to previous season with 8. The Tackle, Maul and Ruck:

d) When a maul is formed and forward momentum is lost the ball must be made available within 5 seconds. The referee should call “Use it” and the ball should be moved away from the contact area. If neither team can pass the ball away, a scrum should be awarded to the team not in possession when the maul began.

There were only 6 mauls throughout the game but all ended in scrum turnover. Afterwards I had a good chat to both set of coaches but Away team coaches queried my refereeing of mauls and said I was the first referee to do it this season?!

They took my word for it but have just double checked and noticed it was not in 2018/19.
Just wondered how others have been refereeing the maul this season and what age groups does it apply to?:chin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What were they querying.

The turnover?
Or the 5 seconds when forward momentum ceases?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Same wording is there in my Aug 2017 copy for U14s, only difference is it's 8k) instead of 8d). What are other refs doing, as this is pretty much the same as Adult laws, ie if maul stops you need to use it or risk turnover?

This is basically a progression from U11 / U12 / U13 mauls where you have 5 seconds from when Maul is formed, U14 allows you know to keep moving then use it once held

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
They were querying how I refereed it i.e. called maul then counted down 5,4,3 2,1 and then signalled turnover.

It haven't refereed this age group for over 10 year. Game was much quicker than I remember so progress!

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
They were querying how I refereed it i.e. called maul then counted down 5,4,3 2,1 and then signalled turnover.

So did you query why they hadn't taught their players to get the ball to the back and make it always available for when momentum stopped? :wink:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ah, ok, I don’t do that, mostly because it means if the ball pops out on 5.5/6 I have the option of allowing play to continue instead of backing myself into a decision

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ah, ok, I don’t do that, mostly because it means if the ball pops out on 5.5/6 I have the option of allowing play to continue instead of backing myself into a decision

No chance of that happening. The ball was well and truly locked in middle of the maul. I paused after calling maul use it then started to count down. All told it was probably nearer 10 seconds..... poor technique.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
So did you query why they hadn't taught their players to get the ball to the back and make it always available for when momentum stopped? :wink:

Hi Phil. Finalscore was 74 - 7. I spent most of the match encouraging and coaching the away team. At 50 - 0 (5 mins into second half) I checked with away coaches and they and players wanted to carry on which was really positive. I ended it 5 mins early after they scored their only try!

My coaching qualifiactions expired 10 years ago so I don't go there anymore.

I felt

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've used 17(a) before and called an end to a maul before it became stationary or lost moments for 5 seconds. If I view the ball completely wrapped up and not coming out, I will deem it unplayable and whistle immediately. Admittedly I don't do this often, however I don't believe you need to wait 5 seconds for all upright mauls before you can call a scrum.

Can I clarify when you start counting 5 seconds? I believe this applies from the point the maul loses forward progress. Are you taking 5 second from the point maul is formed, even if it's going forward? If the latter I would suggest this is not the correct interpretation of the 5 second guidance, which I understood apply only once the maul loses momentum/forward progress.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

i have a problem here. Above you that yo ucall the maul and immediately counts down from 5 to1. But the reg you quote includes

[LAWS]When a maul is formed and forward momentum is lost the ball must be made available within 5 seconds.[/LAWS]

Surely, if there is forward momentum at the creation of the maul, you do not stat the count until " forward momentum is lost". So, Calling "maul, 5-4-3-2-1-Turnover" is not necessarily correct? Or am I missing something.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No chance of that happening. The ball was well and truly locked in middle of the maul. I paused after calling maul use it then started to count down. All told it was probably nearer 10 seconds..... poor technique.

Yeah, that happens a lot, I have a couple of tall lads with Itoje-esque arms in the U13s I coach, they worked our real quick how to wrap up a maul for 5 seconds. I personally think the time limit doesn't help, but I do as am told on the coaching front!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i have a problem here. Above you that yo ucall the maul and immediately counts down from 5 to1. But the reg you quote includes

[LAWS]When a maul is formed and forward momentum is lost the ball must be made available within 5 seconds.[/LAWS]

Surely, if there is forward momentum at the creation of the maul, you do not stat the count until " forward momentum is lost". So, Calling "maul, 5-4-3-2-1-Turnover" is not necessarily correct? Or am I missing something.

Ah, yes hadn't spotted that, was distracted with the verbal countdown - U14 they can keep marching forward *then* they get 5 seconds, younger age groups it's a straight 5 seconds

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As is the case with any situation at the younger age groups, it is likely to be a mess. it serves no purpose to continue any longer than the situation demands, hence the tighter restrictions and the more immediate intervention. Helps keep the game moving considering the reduced game time.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes

My mistake for not stating that each maul was stationary.