Rivalry Match

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
I coming up on cross town rivalry match that has been quite acrimonious in the past. At the coin toss, I tell the captains I am looking for them to keep their teams in line. Should I make a greater mention of limiting dissent and off the ball shenanigans or will that just start things off on a bad foot?

I expect the crowd to be large (+100 spectators) and very vocal. Their influence will certainly flame the smallest grievance.

Thanks in advance.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Don't overdo it. Just use the fact that you made the point in your briefing as the first part of ATP. If anything happens, call the captains over and remind them (in addition to any other appropriate action).

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Woody - For what it is worth, my brief to skippers at the coin toss is:

'Player discipline is your responsibility, please keep them focused on the ball and not each other. I can help you but can only penalise or take stronger measures.

Whereas I welcome friendly chat during the game if you approach me appropriately and at quiet time, i.e when we are setting up for a scrum or line out for example, refereeing decisions are never on the table for discussion. If I feel that calls are being questioned then I shall treat it as dissent, whoever it comes from'.

Otherwise, ignore the crowd completely, work primarily with the Captains and the players. There are usually one or two players that will smile and joke with you and respond positively to that. Try and relax as body language is a dead give away, smile a lot and show everyone just how much fun you are having too!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Simply adopt the attitude that they will of course keep their players in line, and they will speak to you only at appropriate times, and that clearly there will be no dissent - as per every other game you referee.

Why make them think that you are either
a)used to getting a lot of flack for poor decisions
b)worried about this game in particular

Any hint of a problem - call them over and read the riot act - "behaviour is completely out of order, not sure what standards of behaviour are normal for you but I am not used to this... get it sorted, NOW. Back 10 - PK against you for xxxxx!"

Any "shenanigans" ping it immediately, be a b'stard - don't play any advantage until they twig that you are not messing about, then you can try to get a game going - IF they are willing.

By shenanigans, I mean any little silly niggles - 9s pushing each other at the scrum - if the one pushed was in front of the ball ping him then reverse it for the push - peferably ping the one who was offside before he gets pushed. Just play ZERO tolerance to start with. You award a PK the offenders must retreat 10m rapidly NOW, RUN! They may not interfere with the ball - if they do the it's +10, but rather than try to go quick call captain over tell him what they did wrong, tell him that future misbehaviour limits your options. Then make the mark.

Any repeat = YC, no more mr nice guy.

Forget the crowd - the ones who catcall are morons whose opinion is not worth the air they wasted breathing while they said it.

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thanks. It is always a big match but this year they both near the top and likely only one will make the playoffs. I want to get this game right.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Best of luck Woody. Let us know how it goes.