RSA v Aust

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought Ben O'Keefe had a good game and will do well in years to come.

One issue I had was the scrum. He allowed the front rows to engage on the 'bind' call which was, IMO, a major factor in the numerous scrum collapses.

Mind you, he's not Robinson Crusoe. I see this regularly in elite rugby.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did you see at 60:02, Gold 1 (Scott Sio) first man in, wins the ball at a ruck and pops it up (so its clear of the ruck) and Green 17 (Steven Kitsoff) lying on the ground, reaches up and taps the ball back to his SH. Referee pings him. Some willl argue that this was a ruck offence (hands in the ruck) but the ball wasn't in a ruck, and the referee is clearly heard to say "You've got to be up" and a few seconds later, he reinforces this with "playing the ball on the ground".

SA Referees
won't be very happy will they, but the examples of "off your feet = out of the game" just keep coming. Even the South African commentator (Joel Stransky) shortly afterwards said "If you're on the ground, you are not allowed to play the ball". Looks like he understands this law better than SA Referees does :biggrin: :clap:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
nice thread-jack

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Looks like he understands this law better than SA Referees does :biggrin: :clap:
Perhaps SArefs has an axe to grind (cf sideways extension of the 22m line)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought Ben O'Keefe had a good game and will do well in years to come.

One issue I had was the scrum. He allowed the front rows to engage on the 'bind' call which was, IMO, a major factor in the numerous scrum collapses.

Mind you, he's not Robinson Crusoe. I see this regularly in elite rugby.

Wayne Barnes had the same problem in the Gloucester v Northampton game. Allowing shoulder to shoulder contact on the 'bind' call is the culprit.

And then watched JP Doyle in the London Irish v Leicester game and scrums much better. No shoulder to shoulder contact.

Last edited: