Ruck / Maul in touch

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
A ruck is formed, Someone's leg in the ruck is in touch - is the ball in touch?

A maul if formed, someone's leg in the maul is in touch - is the ball in touch?

If not when is a ruck / maul in touch?

Sorry move this thread to ruck / maul section if it makes more sense

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For mine...
No
No
Only when someone in the ruck/maul that is actually touching/holding the ball and then touches on or beyond the touch line.

(But in reality if it's a whole lot of limbs sprawled all over the line and the ball is buried deep in ther then stick ya flag up...no one will probably argue with you about it)

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
If there is a ball carrier, then it is when the ball carrier is in touch....

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
(But in reality if it's a whole lot of limbs sprawled all over the line and the ball is buried deep in ther then stick ya flag up...

Hardly meets the clear & obvious test, though

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In the maul I would go with the ball crossing the plane of touch.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
In the maul I would go with the ball crossing the plane of touch.

Or maybe we could use the law book?

Page 117:

The ball is in touch when a player is carrying it and the ball carrier (or the ball) touches the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline...

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Or maybe we could use the law book?

Page 117:

The ball is in touch when a player is carrying it and the ball carrier (or the ball) touches the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline...

Spoilsport.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What about the (poorly named) choke tackle that results in a maul. Taken in by red, blue gets their hands on the ball, then blue player sticks a foot in touch. Who is the ball carrier at that point? Therefore is the ball in touch?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
What about the (poorly named) choke tackle that results in a maul. Taken in by red, blue gets their hands on the ball, then blue player sticks a foot in touch. Who is the ball carrier at that point? Therefore is the ball in touch?
I would say it depends on who had possession. Blue just getting a fingertip to the ball and stepping into touch isn't enough for me.

If Red has the ball truly wrapped up, I would say he had possession and it would only be in touch if Red stepped on or over the line.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree with Taff. Who has possession? The guy wiith a finger on it or the guy with an arm around it?

Last edited:

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What if they both have their arms around it contesting the maul?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'd go with the side taking the ball into the maul being the criteria. Reasoning?

White has the ball.
Red is attempting to get the ball. So he's not yet won it Therefore it's still in White's possession.
So white is is the determining factor.

Look at an unplayable maul.

White takes it is all Red has to do is prevent white getting the ball out to earn the t/o.

Keep it simple.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
What if they both have their arms around it contesting the maul?
I'm pretty sure the law says that if there is doubt who took the ball into touch, the throw in goes to the attacking side. That's what I would go with anyway - I'm pretty sure it's in the book.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Well done that man - 19.4(a).

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Well done that man - 19.4(a).
Ha. After I got my license, I spent the whole of the first year just running touch (my confidence was shot to bits after a particularly bad first game) so have read the LO law section more often than I care to remember. :redface:

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
But here we have the question IS the ball in touch not doubt over who took it in.

White has hold of the ball and black has hold of the ball. White is in touch, black is not. So is the ball in touch or not?

19.4(a) deals with doubt as to who took it in and not the point of the question here.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Law 19 Definitions:
The ball is in touch when ... a ball carrier ... touches the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline.

A player in touch may ... not hold [the ball] if it has not crossed the plane of the touchline.

If White is in touch and holding the ball, then the ball is in touch, regardless of how many other players are holding the ball in the field of play.

Extrapolate, if necessary, from:

If a player has one foot in the field of play and one foot in touch and holds the ball, the ball is in touch.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If he is the ball carrier you are correct. The OP is not debating that. I'm trying to answer his actual question.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If he is the ball carrier you are correct. The OP is not debating that. I'm trying to answer his actual question.

I answered your question from the previous post: "White has hold of the ball and black has hold of the ball. White is in touch, black is not. So is the ball in touch or not?". I didn't know that was not the question that you wanted to be answered, especially as you answered it in Post #7, after Menace in #2.