Rugby using Swiss/McMahon

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
(I am starting a new thread rather than hijack the 6N bonus points one.)

Recap: the Swiss system is used in chess when there are too many entries or not enough time for all-play-all. After the first round, winners play winners, and losers play losers. This process produces a ranking system and means that the stronger players play against each other so that nobody benefits from eg a pool system that pits them against weak players.

I first identified this as a better way of organising rugby pool system competitions locally, but then got an opportunity to try it in a slightly different area. In May we ask clubs to submit entries for next season's Reserve leagues(2nd XVs and below). They pay a £100 deposit per team, which is refunded if the team plays 70% of its matches. This was introduced at the request of the clubs because some clubs had been entering teams that were just pie in the sky, leading to too many gaps in fixture lists.

I designated a trial period at the beginning of the season for the lowest tiers (the main problem area). The carrot was that any team that withdrew for lack of players during this period would not lose its deposit.

For six weeks, any team able to raise a side for the next Saturday would send in details by Tuesday midnight. I initially ranked the teams according to their performance the previous season, and paired like with like. If we had an odd number of entries, one team would get a bye, with a guarantee that they would not get another.

When the results came in I would adjust the rankings accordingly for use the following week, ensuring also that each team had a different opponent each week. At the end of the six weeks the rankings were used to set leagues and scheduled fixtures for the rest of the season, leaving out the (small) number of teams that had withdrawn.

There were still some matches that had to be called off for lack of players, but not as many as normal.

The following season was the RWC, so the same system was used for all Reserve Leagues during that because we felt player availability would be too unreliable during the tournament. Half the county took part, the other half opted out.

From discussion with clubs we learned that trying to persuade people to play was more effective if you could point to a scheduled fixture and ask them to help out their mates, than simply being able to (almost) guarantee a game if they agreed to play. Altruism more important than self-interest!

The argument that you cannot plan ahead is not relevant when you have a knockout competition, so I still think this system is better than the standard knockout, where half the teams only get one match. I did a dummy run using 4 rounds before picking the top four team for knock-out semi-finals, and it seemed to work well, but I haven't had a chance to try it live. The appetite for cup competitions seems to have faded somewhat.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I came up these responses to your post

1. Huh?

2. You lost me at "Recap"

3. So the idea here is to win your games, right?

4. Nerd alert

5. Has Steven Hawking been consulted?

6. After 3 hrs and no return posts, I just had to write a response.

7. I'm glad discuss was your postscript

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
How did you allocate home/away games? Or was that not a factor at the level it was being held?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like the idea - and not just for rugby.

I was persuaded to enter the local pub's pool competition a few months ago (they had 7 players). Too many for a league, but a knockout (which is what we played) meant that half of us only got a single game. The Swiss system would have been just the ticket.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How did you allocate home/away games? Or was that not a factor at the level it was being held?
As far as possible I alternated. I had set up a spreadsheet that showed me each teams previous games and allowed me to select the venue.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
3. So the idea here is to win your games, right?

The idea is to win games, sure, but more importantly it is to play them against teams of a similar level.

It can be organised over any number of fixture days (greater than 1) for any number of teams. The simplest possible case is 4 teams and 2 fixture days. Rather than playing two quarter finals and just a final, a match for 3rd/4th place can be held too. Note that this is a not common FIRA format for International Ladies - all teams guarantueed 2 matches. This can be extended to 8 teams in three fixtures, which I believe is used at youth level for FIRA (I mean Rugby Europe), for example Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday.

But what is more interesting is that you could also organise a country-wide competition, or county-wide as OB.. did, and the format works regardless of the number of fixture days or teams. Say you have 4 days and 42 teams, and are using bonus points. Then after the first round, you have up to 21 winners and losers, as well perhaps as some sides that have bonus (4+ tries each) draws or regular ones. By definition, none of those with 4+ points after fixture 1 will have played each other yet, ditto for those with 1 or fewer.

Now, there are two different ways to approach assigning the next set of fixtures. Both involve sorting by match points and then points difference. I'll come back to standard Swiss in a bit, but with McMahon #1 plays #2, #3 plays #4 and so on, unless they have already met. So although 4 rounds wasn't enough to produce an overall winner, it does provide a good leader board.

Standard Swiss is a bit more likely to be used when there are more rounds than participants, but nowhere near enough for a round-robin. To keep numbers small, I'll have just 6 teams (for the Six Nations) called A-F. Now, we could seed A and F into the semi-finals, and have three rounds of competition, or have a round-robin where they play five rounds. So lets say we only have time for four rounds, but everybody is keen to play all four, so they get two home fixtures each. That means they are going to be playing all but one of the other sides; however this is not typical of real tournaments where there might be dozens or hundreds of participants and time for say 6-10 rounds respectively. Essentially, in standard Swiss you might quite quickly reach the point at which one side has not yet lost and all others have lost at least once, but have enough time for additional rounds. It isn't double elimination, it is simply no elimination at all if people still want to play.

McMahon is an improvement in certain situations, in particular where you don't want a minnow playing an opponent far too strong. It also helps teams get opponents closer to their own level faster. Of course that is the one down-side if you want to "win" as a team, but the eventual champions can claim to have beaten the best of the rest, as opposed to have beaten a side that beat a side... as in a regular cup knock-out.

For a relatively local competion, of course travel times can also be taken into consideration in Swiss/McMahon. The tournament director could make local groups of 4 or 8 teams that will play their first 2-3 matches against each other, and in the closing stages of the competition accept requests for 'missing matches' in these groups to be played for teams that aren't in the upper rankings.

----------------------------------

I'm a bit surprised by the figure of 70% of games played that OB.. quoted, which effectively means that for six matches there can be two away no-shows without a fine/loss-of-deposit, out of the three away matches.

The Swiss system doesn't adapt well to no-shows, as opposed to sides that don't have a team available the next weekend. Minus five match points is not a good tool, since it simply means that a weaker side might have to face them. That said, once is happenstance and twice is not quite coincidence. So my suggestion for a single no-show is a straight 30-0/5-0 loss, no further fine because stance happens - although expenses to be paid if opponents had to travel. For the second no-show (again as opposed to not signing up) a special place in ... the -1000 match points zone, and the loss of their deposit, and the lack of any positive match points, as well as losing the right to a (the next planned) home fixture. That said, coincidences do happen and if they can convince the organisers that they will have a team, don't ignore those players that have lost out on matches before due to no action of their own.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The 70% only applies to scheduled fixtures, not to the Swiss/McMahon ones, which were a precursor to regular fixtures.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I saw a similar figure for county cups quoted by the Lone Blazer (ECRFU Council member Andrew Sarek).
Although it was not compulsory for sides to enter, I believe he has stated that 1 in 4 games were awarded as walk overs.

Before Christmas I was watching College American Football. They have 128 sides in Division 1A and a 13 week season.
So sides are grouped into conferences and merit tables are used to select the top four that play in the semi-final.
I wondered if having 16 pools of 8 playing a single round robin than 6 rounds of Swiss with a final 7th round as the end of season bowls would not be a fairer system.

Of course having thoughts like this may make me a geek.