Veldsman, Shaun (SARU)
De Santis, Giulio (FIR)

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
only 8 ARs?

Last time the ARs only stayed for the pool stages, and the referees then did it. Presumably referees will be appointed as AR 1s during the pool stages.

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
Yep, my goof...:sad: I placed Goddard with the ARs when he's a TMO.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yep, my goof...:sad: I placed Goddard with the ARs when he's a TMO.

And I leapt to conclusions without seeing the small print. Apologies dave_clark. :sad: :norc:

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
No Mark Lawrence. I wonder if there was a quota from each country. Unofficially, of course

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
And I leapt to conclusions without seeing the small print. Apologies dave_clark. :sad: :norc:

i do not accept your apology, for i do not believe that you mean it.

:biggrin: :wink: :p

FKlopper

Post Likes
The SA Refs website is certain that there was a quota of referees. http://www.sareferees.co.za/news/ref_news/2717461.htm

"Clearly there is a limitation on the number of referees from each country, and two seems to be the ceiling. This would be in the interest of "neutrality" as clearly the principle of merit selection has not yet reached international level."

Andre Watson: "Were it not for numbers limiting the match officials at RWC, I'm convinced we would have had even more referees, assistant referees and TMOs at the tournament."

Shame about Mark Lawrence not refereeing at the World Cup (again), seemed to 'peak' too early as 2 years ago I don't think you couldn't have left him off of the panel.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Interesting list. I'm not convinced by Pearson.

Strange no Scottish refs on the list.:Zip: :wink:

JonnoNeath

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Does anybody know why only ten referees have been picked? Why not twelve or more? That way the iRB could be somewhat more "meritocratic" in their selection whilst still satisfying their obvious geographic criterion.

FKlopper

Post Likes
Does anybody know why only ten referees have been picked? Why not twelve or more? That way the iRB could be somewhat more "meritocratic" in their selection whilst still satisfying their obvious geographic criterion.

Paddy O'Brien gave an interview to Total Rugby and basically said the ten best were picked (so that they each got 4 pool matches) and that he didn't care whether 5 of them came from the same country, his only priority was to get the best referees in the world for the best matches - http://www.irb.com/mm/Audio/Home/TotalRugbyRadio/02/04/23/15/2042315_HI-AUD.mp3

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I'm sorry but Kaplan's selection on the panel is a joke. A complete joke. Never has a referee in the last 2 years been so inconsistent and actually had an impact on the games result. To name a few.

Hurricanes vs Crusaders in 2010
Australia v Ireland in 2009
Wales v Ireland in 2010
Rebels v Brumbies in 2011

I congratulate Wayne Barnes, Craig Joubert and George Clancy, in my opinion they are the two best in the world.

Steve Walsh should not be going, he's been dreadful.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm sorry but Kaplan's selection on the panel is a joke. A complete joke. Never has a referee in the last 2 years been so inconsistent and actually had an impact on the games result. To name a few.

Hurricanes vs Crusaders in 2010
Australia v Ireland in 2009
Wales v Ireland in 2010
Rebels v Brumbies in 2011

I congratulate Wayne Barnes, Craig Joubert and George Clancy, in my opinion they are the two best in the world.

Steve Walsh should not be going, he's been dreadful.

Nah, you're just sore because your mate Stuart Dickinson missed the cut. :biggrin:

*** waits for allegations if a POB led conspiracy against SD ***

Oh, and I disagree with you entirely re: Steve Walsh. I am no fan of his, but I have to concede that he has been one of the better referees in Super Rugby this year. He (and Vinny Munro) are among the few who have a real "feel" for the game.

They both manage materiality very well. Walsh's performance in the Crusaders v Sharks match at Twickers was outstanding.

Last edited:

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Nah, you're just sore because your mate Stuart Dickinson missed the cut. :biggrin:

*** waits for allegations if a POB led conspiracy against SD ***

Oh, and I disagree with you entirely re: Steve Walsh. I am no fan of his, but I have to concede that he has been one of the better referees in Super Rugby this year. He (and Vinny Munro) are among the few who have a real "feel" for the game.

They both manage materiality very well. Walsh's performance in the Crusaders v Sharks match at Twickers was outstanding.

I think you'll find that I never mentioned Stu Dickinson in the post. I commented on Kaplan's performances and how I believe he shouldn't be there, I think a lot of the people on the forum will agree with me here. I liked Kaplan, but his last few years have been nothing short of poor. Mark Lawrence over Kaplan any day for me.

From what I understand Dickinson is attending, but he's taking people on a tour (obviously because he missed out) I won't shy away from that, from what I understand this is Dickinson's last year of Super Rugby, as I hear he has a nice looking 6 figure salary in the Private Sector lined up.

And Ian, I think Mark Lawrence and Vinny Munro should both be attending the RWC as referees. I think it's outrageous they aren't.

As for my maths skills ATTR, I said Joubert and Barnes first, and then I thought I would add Clancy because I'm starting to like him too.