[RWC] - Joubert "Didn't survive the clean-out"

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
CJ is the only ref I can recall using this comment during a game.

What is he implying?

One has to assume that the person he is referring to was in all respects legal and that he had his hands on the ball and was then cleaned out

This raises the question [in my mind at least] why his rights to the ball are extinguished by an opponent cleaning him off the ball?

How long have the attacking team got at law to clean out a defender who has rights?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
CJ is the only ref I can recall using this comment during a game.

What is he implying?

One has to assume that the person he is referring to was in all respects legal and that he had his hands on the ball and was then cleaned out

This raises the question [in my mind at least] why his rights to the ball are extinguished by an opponent cleaning him off the ball?

How long have the attacking team got at law to clean out a defender who has rights?

I don't think it is uncommon here.

It means that the jackler has to have sufficient grasp of the ball that, when an opponent attempts a clean out, either the ball comes with him or it is evident that the tackled player isn't letting the ball go.

Having a fingertip on the ball is not sufficient to have rights to the ball irrespective of how long you have your fingertip on the ball.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Aka
"Didn't survive the clean out" = "I don't think you were in a strong and dominant position to deserve that ball/PK"