[Ruck] SA refs on offside (hands in front)

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the below link the SA ref site comments on a 6N game using the "new" or "trial" laws that refer to the Breakdown (rather than Ruck) as law 16. This seems at worst plain wrong or possibly just misleading because those changes to the laws are only a trial, are not relevant to all levels of rugby, and certainly are not applicable to the 6N.

Can someone confirm that they are using the wrong arguments (even if their point about hands in front of the back foot being offside is valid).

http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2831008/

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I wonder if Glen Jackson forgot which tournament he was refereeing...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
SA Referees has this wrong in quoting the Law 16 Breakdown trial. As you say, the "Breakdown" replacement to the Ruck laws does not apply at 6N. It is only being used in closed trials in Wales and Australia

Glen Jackson also has this wrong. While the argument that a player with his hands on the ground in front of the offside line is offside is one that has been around for quite a few years, I think we discussed this on the forum a while back and came to the conclusion that there is a definition in Law that says it isn't.

[LAWS]LAW DEFINITIONS
"Oversteps: A player steps across a line with one or both feet; the line may be real (for example, goal-line) or imaginary (for example, offside line).[/LAWS]

As usual, there are exceptions - 20.12 (b)

Of course, This action of players putting their hands on the ground in front of the ball at a tackle and sweeping backwards to pick it up is an offence anyway... going off their feet through not supporting their bodyweight.

ETA:

I have written to Paul Dobson at SA Referees

"Hi Paul

In this clip and law explanation...

sareferees.com/laws/view/2831008/

...you have quoted the new 'Law 16 Breakdown', but that is a trial law which only applies in closed trials in Wales and Australia. It does not apply in the 2016 6N, which is still using the Ruck Law - the offside line only being applicable to feet being defined in the general Law Definitions

'Oversteps: A player steps across a line with one or both feet; the line may be real (for example, goal-line) or imaginary (for example, offside line).'

Cheers

Ian

PS: Unless you have a time machine, the date on this page is wrong too.

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Yes, wrong law quoted etc. He was off side anyway because of his left leg so I can't understand why he didn't use this law. Too focused on arms?