SA "You be the ref"

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Nice set of questions here.

Interesting is number 7:

7. Morné Klipspringer drops out after the Flightless Birds have scored but the kick goes directly into touch just inside the Flightless Birds 22. Mils Cassowary of the Flightless Birds catches the ball in touch and then runs up towards the half-way line. On his 10-metre line he throws the ball back to Richie Kiwi who is 10 metres behind him and 10 metres in from touch.

You will:
a. let play go on
b. order the Flightless Birds to throw the ball in at a formed line-out
c. offer the Leaping Antelope the option of a scrum or a line-out
d. order a scrum

Spoilers: The given answer is (b), and the Law quoted is the one saying that a quick throw must be taken behind where the ball goes into touch. I'm glad this backs up a literal interpretation of that law, rather than reading it as "behind where the lineout would be".

It also seems to indicate that, having decided to take a quick throw and had it disallowed, the receiving team have given up the option of taking the scrum or a re-kick, and accepted the kick.

Further question: The law says "accept the kick" rather than "have a lineout", so presumably they could take a (legal) quick throw. But it does also say that the linout is it the halfway line; would anyone read this as not allowing the quick throw?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having attempted to take a quick throw the receiving team has accepted the kick. If the conditions are not met and the quick throw is disallowed then, consistent with all other cases where a QT is disallowed, the same team subsequently throws in at the line out; the issue of course is where.

By accepting the kick and opting for a quick throw then the line out option has been taken. It seems grossly unfair on the non offending team to be required to take the new line out where the ball went into touch especially as the specified place for the line out following a kick off infringement is certainly no further towards the non offending goal line than the half way point. It would appear that the unintended consequence of new law is that a QT, previously permissible in this situation, is no longer allowed. Further, it appears to have reduced the opportunity for positive play and is arguably detrimental to the game in that it is an erosion of the fun factor:nono:

Another one for OB's list.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
19.2 QUICK THROW-IN
(a) A player may take a quick throw-in without waiting for a lineout to form.
(b) For a quick throw-in, the player may be anywhere outside the field of play between the place where the ball went into touch and the player’s goal line.

The Quick throw in is always an option. Nothing in the Laws makes it any different for a kickoff or restart. Accepting the kick does not mean a lineout MUST be formed.

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
A - The Quick throw in is always an option.
B - Nothing in the Laws makes it any different for a kickoff or restart.
C - Accepting the kick does not mean a lineout MUST be formed.

Agree with A and B (my letters) but not C

Once they have tried a QT - they have accepted - to me it's like bringing a tee on and then running... you try a QT (I would allow if it's all done correctly) then you have accepted the kick and chosen a line out
If I order the QT was disallowed - your line out is on half way line...

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Dunno - I see Ian's logic.

A QT is seen as separate to a lineout. You could argue it ISN'T called a quick lineout for a reason...