Saddle Roll for our Illinois Friend

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Smeagol-
No way will we discuss this on the "world" forum. Dixie was already trying to start trouble.
You will see a saddle roll and the USA Game Management Guidelines acknowledge it is a legal move. Simon Smith especially has had a lot of discussion with Richard Every regarding this issue. In a nutshell, his argument is that it is clearly ok in law and it produces quick ball. We can debate that until Simon loses his mind, but that has been done.
I think the bigger concern is a coach or player saying they are "too tall" to get low enough to ruck. That is a bunch of BS and represents poor coaching as well.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have just about managed to get my blood pressure under control.

Richard Every's answers didn't answer my specific questions about collapsing a ruck and other law issues. I think we did get to a point where the roll must NOT be around the neck.

I think the original video they posted showing it got removed or amended, so some progress was made.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The player seemed to understand the proper technique, but I still emphasized that he had to stay off the neck.

The "too tall" portion was merely my observation, as he's above 6ft and only a freshman.