Score card design and content

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just interested if anyone has come up with what they feel is a good score card design for pocket wallet that they are prepared to share? Or for that matter if there is one online somewhere that they feel does the job. Also, apart from the score what else do you put on you card during the match?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Try this thread: http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?13680-score-cards&highlight=score+card

And the site's Wiki resources: http://www.rugbyrefs.com/wiki/index.php/Score_Cards

At your level, keep it simple but record essentials:
(1) a simple marking of what has been scored - T, +C, P (rather than totting up the score every time); note the time (min + nearest 15 secs) in case kicker is taking too long.
(2) YC - number/posn if not wearing numbered shirt AND time min/sec to enable the correct return to field; plus note/memory of offence in case you have to issue 2nd YC to same player which = RC + report.
(3) RC - player (name/number/posn), time and offence - for post-match report.
(4) Number of substitutions made.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
At your level, keep it simple but record essentials:
(1) a simple marking of what has been scored - T, +C, P (rather than totting up the score every time); note the time (min + nearest 15 secs) in case kicker is taking too long.

MY BOLD AND RED HIGHLIGHTING

I dont know many ref's around these parts that write the time of the score down, more a management tool, when they dot down the ball just have a quick look at your watch and add 90 sec.

Otherwise if your game ends up like a cricket score, before Xmas we had a few games here with scores in excess of 120+ you would need an A4 sheet in your pocket!

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
-----------------------------------------------------------
l l
l l
l l

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
|......................................................................l
I believe this is meant to represent that Womble's mind is equally blank with regards to the score.

His lack of faith in his ability to be impartial should perhaps be a concern. How likely is he to react to other subtle pressures?

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I believe this is meant to represent that Womble's mind is equally blank with regards to the score.

His lack of faith in his ability to be impartial should perhaps be a concern. How likely is he to react to other subtle pressures?
It's about deflecting pressure to other areas OB, I have many other ways of deflecting pressure as well ! Maybe I did something right along the way :)

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
I actually like your card Womble....makes perfect sense. In the scheme of things a referee should really not care about the score, so a blank card is the ultimate in good game management. Not knowing the score will certainly help with your issues of impartiality too... ;)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It's about deflecting pressure to other areas OB, I have many other ways of deflecting pressure as well ! Maybe I did something right along the way :)
My concern is that at lower levels referees do not have anybody they can offload the job to. I would not want them to try nd opt out of keeping the score. They therefore have to get used to at least having some idea, even if they have to stop and calculate when asked.

The score obviously matters to the teams, and they are entitled to know what it is. In a close game they can adjust their tactics accordingly. What do you do if they ask? Refer them to your AR? Or do all clubs at your level have accurate scoreboards?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just interested if anyone has come up with what they feel is a good score card design for pocket wallet that they are prepared to share? Or for that matter if there is one online somewhere that they feel does the job. Also, apart from the score what else do you put on you card during the match?

Hi Rich. I am surprised you are asking this as London used to offer a very good scorecard - one that I have yet to see bettered in my travels around the country. In fact I am still using them :biggrin:

If you don't have any then perhaps a gentle word with your regional manager will get some forthcoming.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Most of this season I have been using the RFU issued score cards.
Not many people seem to want them, so I have aquired a huge stockpile.....which should last me the rest of my career!

Its the same size as my YC, which I use to rest on.

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Rich. I am surprised you are asking this as London used to offer a very good scorecard - one that I have yet to see bettered in my travels around the country. In fact I am still using them :biggrin:

If you don't have any then perhaps a gentle word with your regional manager will get some forthcoming.

Ooh...I have a pile of them...just.....so......yesterday.....you know.....? ;)

My biggest problem is that my reading eyesight is awful without glasses...My grandfather used to have a monocle on a chord around his neck....Think I might go for that look whilst on the pitch.... :eek:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My grandfather used to have a monocle on a chord around his neck....Think I might go for that look whilst on the pitch.... :eek:

Ermmmm...

Perhaps one might suggest contact lenses as a better option? :hap:

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ermmmm...

Perhaps one might suggest contact lenses as a better option? :hap:

errmmmmm...I'm guessing that you are either under 40 yrs old and don't have need of reading glasses or that you have been blessed (so far) with not needing any? Contacts are no use to me. I can see the rear end of a fly at 1000 yds crystal clear without glasses....just can't focus on paperwork 2 feet from me...And that's the limit of my arm length, which makes score cards complicated unless they are nice and clear, preferably with big type.

Anyway, what's wrong with a monocle? Think it might be the start of a new trend....

"The monocled Ref".....sort of has a Hardy Boys ring to it.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
View attachment 2749
errmmmmm...I'm guessing that you are either under 40 yrs old and don't have need of reading glasses or that you have been blessed (so far) with not needing any? Contacts are no use to me. I can see the rear end of a fly at 1000 yds crystal clear without glasses....just can't focus on paperwork 2 feet from me...And that's the limit of my arm length, which makes score cards complicated unless they are nice and clear, preferably with big type.

Anyway, what's wrong with a monocle? Think it might be the start of a new trend....

"The monocled Ref".....sort of has a Hardy Boys ring to it.

This one may be what you need. Cannot remember where it came from (probably from this site?) but it is basic and at least easy to read.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having tried out contact lenses in both eyes I tried out my own variation -Generally we have one eye 'better' than the other. I tried wearing one contact lens on my 'worst' eye only to correct for distance, I could cope with the reading/writing part on the score card. You would be amazed at how much information even a poorly focused eye adds to another well focused one.

Alternatively try half-moon reading glasses or a 'Pince-Nez' (glasses on a stick) :biggrin:

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Referees with vision impairments... explains so much!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Everyone has vision impairments to some degree, is it adequate for the task?