Scrum-half conned me. Don't make same mistake.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the spirit of learning and openness I just wanted to highlight how I got duped ( I think ) into giving a free-kick to the defending SH.
Well, 1st scrum in the 1st minute, the 9 put the ball in before I had tapped his back. This was only a Level 12 game and 1st scrum so I warned him (this time) and reset the scrum.
No real issues of feeds or engagement sequence in the game otherwise.

70th minute and I was was trying to spot an early unbind from a flanker ( suspected he was close to the edge on the previous scrum ).
After I had issued the "SET" call I saw the ball go in and so, this time, I blew for a FK to the defending side. They tool the kick very quickly and ended up scoring a try.
After the try, the "offending" no.9 had a quiet word with me saying "Just to let you know, Sir, at that last scrum, I only threw in the ball because the other No. 9 tapped me on the back."

Obviously I hadnt seen it but, there was something about the way he explained it to me which lead me to believe him.

So - from now on - that's it. I'll watch the defending SH like a hawk !
Suggest others do too. !
Class dismissed !

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
They all cheat - 9s particularly....

I got caught on Saturday too. Defending 9 kicked ball out of putting in 9's hands twice by all accounts when I was on the far side. Although I had told him to be more than an arms length away I did not enforce it every time, and when I didn't he cheated. One went in crooked and he won FK to add insult to his oppo....

As I said to him in the bar -fair play - my job to catch you, you cheating so and so......

Had I seen him I think I would have given a straight yellow for deliberate and cynical play. In the bar I would have said - I bet you have got away with it often - this time I caught you, tough titty....

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As I said to him in the bar -fair play - my job to catch you, you cheating so and so......
I don't see cheating practices as a game between refs and #9s. The scrumhalf is still a cheat even if he gets away with it. And if he does, it is likely to cause friction between the teams.