Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Lots of scrums in my game yesterday...

First scrum of the game, I see this:
- Green TH prop's shoulders getting below his hips
- Green TH prop's feet moving out from the scrum having him pushing inwards
- Blue LH prop's left shoulder collapsing
- Blue LH prop finally collapsing to the ground
All this happens in a split of a second...

At that time, I can't really tell if Blue LH collapsed because he's not strong enough or because green TH is cheating.

I penalised Green TH for pushing inwards.

Same thing happened at the third scrum with the same outcome.

Green captain asks for a word with me and his TH and basically say:
Green Captain: What's the problem sir? Because this guy is a monster prop
Me: Your TH pushes inwards and his shoulders are below his hips, he needs to sort it out

Not really happy with my analysis, Green captain and TH came to me a bit later during a stoppage for injury:
Green captain: a word sir?
Me: Sure
Green TH: Sir, Blue LH is collapsing and I'm not sure what to do, tell me what you want from me and I'll do it...
Me: Your position is wrong (pushing inwards and shoulders below hips) so I can't tell if Blue LH is collapsing because he's weak or because you're cheating. Keep your position correct and I won't have any doubt.
Green TH: OK.Thank you sir.

Nest scrum: PK against Blue LH for collapsing the scrum (while green TH stayed well positioned).

Was that the correct thing to do?
Are you fellow referee ok to give this kind of clues to a player in this kind of situation?

Your thoughts please.

Cheers,
Pierre.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
You told a player exactly what you wanted. Sounds like good preventative refereeing, spot on.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
You can polish this up to be more professional.

PK against whoever fine. No dispute at the time, can I ask etc, no call is quite clear X collapsing etc.

Then you lead the conversation about your expectations. next downtime. Prop X you need to do X, please sort it out.

Simple, keep it concise no debates.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Only thing I would do different is speak to Blue captain after you'd spoken to Green captain & TH - just to keep things above board, eg

"Blue captain I have just spoken to Green captain about making sure his TH keeps his shoulders up and pushes square. Assuming he does this I want your LH to make sure he takes the weight and stays up. Any questions?"